The Worst place to eat

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pontius Pilate, Feb 9, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There is a restaurant in DC called AMERICA that brags about having a dish from each of the 50 states. I got the Maryland crab cakes, of course since we were in Chesapeake.

just for kicks I checked out Louisiana and they offered chicken jambalaya (no sausage) for $24! It was a plate of jambalaya that would cost 4.95 anywhere in Louisiana.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

When in Morgan City, avoid the Chinese food places as if you heard they were serving HIV on a shingle. There are 3, and the best thing you can say about the best of the 3 is that it is a lesser grade of bad than the other 2.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I was in DC a long time ago when I was a teenager. My mom and I stopped to eat at some restaurant and the daily special was either A) Spaghetti or B) "Authentic" Crawfish Etouffee...

For kicks, I asked the waitress how the etouffee was and she said it was awesome. After talking to her for a minute, she pauses and says "I noticed your accent is not the same as the locals here, where are you from?"... I told her I was from Baton Rouge to which she promptly replied, "Perhaps you should have the Spaghetti"...

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I have never eaten at a Red Lobster in my life....and I never will.

I once lived in Austin. There was a nice, fancy restaurant there (the name escapes me) that people swore by. They served oysters. Against my better judgement, I ordered a dozen. I had been away from home for quite a while and was excited to see something other than tex mex.

Lesson: do not order a dozen raw oysters in central Texas.

WTF was I thinking?

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

There was a joint called blue duck cafe here in Lake Charles that a lot of people loved but that I thought was the worst food I'd ever had. The had a good red bean soup and red beans and rice but that was it. It went out of business pretty quickly.

6. hebertjp

hebertjp Founding Member

ChiChis was terrible. I ordered a seafood enchilada and got imitation crabmeat with cheez whiz on top wrapped in a tortilla.

I was severely underimpressed with Mestizo when it first opened on Sherwood Forest. Service was terrible and food didn't live up to the hype.

Pretty much all of the chinese buffets where I live are bad. Lots of places around here where the food isn't bad (not great but not bad) but way overpriced.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I did the same in Wichita Falls. The oysters in TX have to be pastuerized. Talk about nasty! Tried tuna there ONCE too. Again, nasty.

8. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

Baton Rouge, and its surrounding areas have a shart load of turrrrible places to eat

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The terrible places never last very long.

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

oh come on now. Chili's and Applebees have been here for years.

I know I am about to rile ppl up, but even Walk-Ons has been open for years. That place needs to close down quick.