There isn't a badder group of WR's in football.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Apr 18, 2005.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

FightinTIGER, you're right, I'm not directing it towards anyone in particular, but those of you out there know who y'all are. And Cajdav... I'm not one of those people who think that a 2 or 3 loss season is mediocre. Which is the reason why I put mediocre in quotations above. I want to think that this will be *the* year, but I'm such an emotional person that I feel that I should NOT be too optimistic and set myself up for a LONG offseason. Again, last season wasn't one of those. Now, '98 and '99...different stories...

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

We have the talent on board to be like some of those old Florida teams that just whipped the sh*t out of everyone. It all centers on the qb.. last year when we ran the ball, it was business as usual, but when we threw the ball, on every pass, I held my breathe, cuz we didnt know where the ball would end up.

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Consider this to be a "devil's advocate" question, but isn't the LSU backfield basically the same as last season? .... and the receivers similar as well?

(for the record, these were similar questions posed to me last year on this very board concerning AU's squad :hihi: )

FWIW, I'm in the Jamarcus Russell camp. He's got the athletic talent, he just needs a little confidence and needs to begin asserting his leadership.... and, IMO, that will make a huge difference in LSU's offensive production.

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Well, I guess then that I disagreed with those people last year for the same reason I disagree with you now.

Just because you had terribly inconsistent QB play does *not* mean that the other skill position players suck as well. Amazing how all it took was one 64% completion percentage-ish season from the QB for people like CFN to say, lo and behold, Auburn(!) has the best WR corps in the SEC West.

There are QBs who have mediocre completion percentages b/c their WRs can't catch a cold, then there are those who suck because, well, they suck.

I suggest we'll see a lot less "suckiness" out of the LSU QB position this season, and if so you'll have the Trev Alberts of the world sagely talking about "that amazing LSU WR corps" come about mid-October, as if they knew LSU's WRs were that good all along...

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

One point: Yes, that's what we are excited about - they all return with one year's more experience.
    Second point: LSU's QB will be much improved. Which means our WR's can do much better. Which means opponents can't stack the line to stop our running game - which will mean our running game will be much improved.

6. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

wouldn't that be interesting? Trev Alberts speaking GOOD things about LSU for once?

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Yeah, its the same people as last year.. but.. Here is the fact, mr. auburn guy.. LSU lost to Auburn on the road by one questionable point last year. Home field in the SEC is worth at least a field goal. And as a whole, the team had an off game... So if this team gets their act together, God help the rest of the league.. they will be in trouble..

8. good times

good times Freshman

Well, I'm no longer employed at LSU. I have accepted the head coaching men's basketball position at Belhave College in Mississippi. I guess I didn't mention before that I was a head coach at the high school level for 24 years before retiring in 2002. Now I'm back at it and can't wait to get started. They called me to see if I was interested a while back and I interviewed for it. I didn't want to say anything before just in case I didn't get the job, but now I got it and I'm so excited. Now I got to go buy a new house.:angryfire:geauxtige

9. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

heh heh, parso, i'm glad someone got it :grin:

10. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

We really didn't get to see what our WRs could do last year. Our QB play was so bad sometimes I don't think some non-LSU fans even know. We ran the ball a freaking ton even against bad teams, and it wasn't because we were just destroying them. Without our defense (mainly Marcus Spears) we don't beat Troy State last year. I just hope we get some better QB play this year. From what I've seen, it will come from Russell.