There Sure are a lot of "Chicken Little's" out there.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Mar 20, 2004.

1. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Mark Emmert might leave and the way some posters talk LSU will just shut the damn doors. Well, I've got news for you who believe that Emmert was the sole reason that Saban is here and that the sky is going to fall just because Mark emmert may leave.

The fact is that Mark Emmert couldn't do one damn thing if he didn't have the support of the Board of Supervisors, William Jenkins, Skip Bertman, and the TAF. Some people seem to think that Mark Emmert works in some sort of vacuum and is soley responsible for the success at LSU in athletics in the past few years. The truth of the matter is that LSU's problems in athletics just happen to coincide with the tenure of one Joe Dean. If we want to give credit for what truly turned LSU's athletic fortunes around then let's do it.
    Getting rid of Joe Dean was imperative to LSU's success and to overlook the job that Skip Bertman has done is unfair to Skip.

Certainly, Mark Emmert should be commended for assisting LSU athletics
    and getting things turned around but to think that Mark Emmert is some one
    man show is ridiculous.

Truth be known, some of Mark Emmert's ideas regarding LSU academics are a tad screwy. I don't know of anyone who is pleased with having 700-800
    students in an English lecture class. This is actually happening and is ridiculous. Mark Emmert was behind this situation as he thought there were too many teacher assistants teaching classes. Perhaps, but to just eliminate the assitants and combining hundreds of students into HUGE sections for lecture classes is not a particularly good idea.

I commend Chancellor Emmert for his accomplishments however, sometimes
    some of the supposed accomplishments of Mark Emmert border on
    "Urban Legend" status.

LSU has many other highly qualified and dedicated personnel such as
    Chancellor Emmert's boss, Dr. William Jenkins, Skip Bertman, and most of the BOS.

Incidently, I don't think Nick Saban is so shallow as to make his career moves based on Mark Emmert or anyone else. I think that Nick sabam probably already knew about Mark Emmert possibly leaving before he decided to stay at LSU and accept his new contract. Especially since the University of washington has been searching for a new President for over a year.
    I doubt Emmert's interest in UW has been kept that secret.

Good luck Mark Emmert and thanks for your efforts at LSU.

2. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Amen Brother

Some sanity finally in the land of the "Little" people. :D

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Are you sure about that number? Are they holding class in the assembly center because I don't recall rooms any that would hold that many.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

maybe there arent really that many chicken littles, just a couple vocal ones who start multiple threads. the empty can rattles the most.

5. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Yes, I am positive because I have two kids at LSU

And both of them have actual experience in this situation. It is amazing just how many people don't realize that this is a fact and is actually happening at LSU today. By the way, the classes are held in the new Cox Building on campus and they can actually seat close to 1,000 people in that facility.

Believe what you want but I am telling you the truth.

6. BB

BB Founding Member

Stripes, I think you are right - but, make no mistake, Emmert leaving is a big loss for LSU. In the big puzzle he was most cetainly the outside pieces.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Thank you Stripes for bringing everybody back to reality. One of best posts EVER on this board.

8. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

First and foremost...The Board of Supervisors was NEVER a friend of Mark Emmert's until the very end...Witness the Mitch Barnahardt debacle and the wheeling out of the old warhorse himself, Skip Bertman, to make sure he could get quality leadership and "his man" in the face of the cries from the BOS for the "Good Ole Boys"...

This is verifiable fact...The BOS, and even the student government representative, barged into Emmert's Office to demand more input into the search, when by state law, they had NO legal right to it! It was against the law, and certain anti-progress members-along with the aforementioned student rep-demanded it!

Emmert only recently (1-2 years) has had a friendly BOS...and that was after Foster warned the BOS members who were out of line to start doing the LSU goose-step...He replaced at least two for interfering...Rick's is one new member who was a result of that replacement...

With Blanco now in control, and in control of appointments to that BOS, the new Chancelllor will also come under her thumb, as a direct underling...She will input into the hire...and she will have heavy influence...

If you are so blind you can't see, and you're so ignorant you're unaware of the appointment process...I just can't help you...

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

...and by the way...My anger last night that I vented in the e-mail was more directed towards the direction-ala down the drain-that Blanco is taking the ENTIRE state, lead by the business tax "phase out" and the letting go of our brightest Academic Star in the Louisiana Educational Universe...

It's more towards Blanco's inept abilities and her forked tongue talking from both sides of her mouth that I despise more than Emmert's leaving and it's effect on the AD.

With 7.5 mil a year from the ticket surcharges, LSU's AD is basically insulated from turbulence...It's what direction Saban wants to go with the football program that I feel will prove to be a bumpy ride in the future without Emmert to guide it...