There's a pink elephant in the forum

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Jan 6, 2004.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Amen. I only read about a third of the posts around here anymore. Its like watching the midnight and 11 AM Sportscenter in constant loop. Sure the words change, but its all the same stuff.

2. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

The pink elephant has left the building.

Among other hints dropped by Coach Saban, "It's not about the money for me. I used to work for my dad pumping gas for $2 an hourwhen I was in college, and I asked him if I could work a construction job for $10 an hour. He said 'What is it you want that you don't have?' I said, nothing."

He aint leaving.

3. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

In my humble opinion, there is no chance that Saban would go to work for Billy Bidwell (Cards), Al Davis (Raiders), or Snyder (Redskins). Snyder cannot hire a college coach anyway because of the Spurrier fiasco. Bad PR and bad karma.

Al Davis always hires in-house coaches anyway, so he will probably recycle an old Raider coach.

The Giants have hired Tom Coughlin. That leaves the Bears and the Bills. And probably that just leaves the Bears.

4. LSU

LSU Founding Member

Did anyone hear the Saban Sugar Bowl interview talking about earlier in life when he had the opportunity to work in two places? Saban's anecdote was in response to someone asking him if he would go to the NFL.

Saban recounted that many years ago before he was a coach he worked for his dad making $5 (?) an hour when he was offered a job by non-family members to work in construction for $10/hour. Saban's dad asked Nick, "Is there anything you want that you do not have." Nick replied, "No." So his dad asked, "Why then would you want to take another job?"

At that point the story ended.

I understood the story as an analogy where there was a one-to-one correspondence with all the story's elements. The LSU family is Nick's family now. The NFL is the new job that pays more, but does not offer anything that he does not already have.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Besides, most NFL head coaches are not paid as much as Nick will be making now. I heard Stoops was going to get a raise so that just gives Saban another raise. Nebraska might have to pop for up to $3 million to get a decent coach and guess what? Another raise for Nick. What if Willingham doesn't turn the Notre Dame program around next year and they fire him and pay somebody $4 million? Another raise for Nick. And so on and on.

6. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Of course the Falcons are also looking for a coach. I guess they could not be ruled out.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=222107

This article says that Saban is staying at LSU and it is written by a guy who covers the Chicago Bears. He says that Terry Saban told the Times Picayune that the Sabans are staying.

7. LSUfan636

LSUfan636 Founding Member

Saban hasnt accepted the offer yet from LSU and is said to be waiting for the NFL offers hes supposed to be getting. He has 30 days to decide to extend his contract. My father told me this today, I hope Saban extebds the contract. Have any of yall heard about this also?:dis:

8. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

Skip said he would not be able match if another coach received 3 mill.:dis: