There's no excuse for this loss.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jean Lafitte, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

We all wish the players the best, and we are proud of what they accomplished this year.

Having said that, I hope that Coach Smoke tells the team that there is no excuse for losing the game today. We won the SEC and lost to one of the teams that we beat 2 out of 3 earlier this year.

Additionally, we had a 3 run lead going into the bottom of the 6th inning!! We have got to find a way to close games with a win when we have a lead. Baylor came back in Game 2, and we needed two solo HRs to win it (both helped out of the park by Wally)!

Coach Smoke need to seriously assess his own and his team's weaknesses and work on improvement. We've done more than anybody expected this year, but the bottom line is: WE'VE GOT TO DO BETTER. We ended our season with a two-game losing streak, and we are better than that.

From Coach Smoke on down: Thanks for a great year, Tigers! I know that you will be EVEN BETTER next year!

PS Smoke makes some questionable decisions at times, and HE HAS GOT TO IMPROVE as much as any of the players.

:lsug:

:geaux:

2. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

They will be much much better next year....alot of people forget they played most of the year without some of there best players (wilson,nall,horwath,mestepey and diliberto.) i am pretty certain they will be a fav. next year to win it all.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Wow! What a fan. Kick em when they are down. The Tigers OVERACHIEVED this year. Got it? Smoke and the entire freshman laden team accomplished way beyond what they should have. Hat's off to everyone associated with the program. I couldn't be more proud to be a Tiger Baseball fan. Jean, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. What a sore loser and fair weather fan.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Easy Saban. Jean's as much a fan as any of us. I too, am proud of the way the Tigers overachieved this year, but I must say I am in complete agreement with him. I am still absolutely dumbfounded by Smoke's decision to start Bo Petit (who has never, ever, EVER beaten South Carolina in his entire career) over Justin Meier, who owned the Gamecocks this season. If Meier starts that game and we don't spot Carolina six runs, we win that game 10-5. Even with that handicap, we still had a chance to close out the game in the seventh and eighth innings, but couldn't get it done. I have no complaints about the Cal St.-Fullerton game, CSF was clearly the better team, as much as I hate to admit it.

This team did very well this year, considering all the adversity they had to go through. That said, we are better than 0-for-2 and a barbecue. Every LSU baseball player and Smoke Laval will acknowledge the truth; we should have won that game.

I am as loyal a Tiger fan as anyone, and so is Jean. But I'm not a shrill cheerleader, I call it like I see it. And as good as we have done this year, we can, and should, and MUST, do better. Smoke also is going to have to make better decisions. Today isn't the only time this season he has really left me scratching my head.

That said, hats off to the team for a great season. I'm not going to try to take away from what they achieved this year, which was a whole lot. We had a good season. Hopefully, the whole team and staff will use this less-than-perfect ending as a learning experience and motivation for a national title run next year.

5. Jean Lafitte

Re: Re: There's no excuse for this loss.

You are reacting with emotion, Spock, instead of cold logic and analysis.

Everything in my post is warranted. I give the team all of the credit in the world, and I said so.

Will you rest on your laurels and not expect to do better next time? I am not the same kind of person that you are. No matter what I do or how well I do it, I always consider ways to do it better.

That's just the American way. Your way is the Communist way. Your way is just doing "good enuff to get by."

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! Stop being a Communist!

;)

6. SabanFan

Bullshit. Petit has been his game 2 starter all year. Obviously his blister hadn't healed. The team cme back from a 6 spot in 2 innings Determan was fantastic until he ran out of gas. There are 18 players on the field. SC's Campbell came in and did a great job of shuttingdown the Tigers. GIVE THE OTHER FREAKIN' TEAM SOME CREDIT. That's what really chaps my ass about some fans. It's like you have to win every G-D game or someone's to blame. We lost and it's disappointing but Smoke gets credit, not blame for the season's accomplishments. Bertman is not the coach anymore. Get over it.

7. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

I'm sorry but Jean Lafitte you are wrong for criticizing the team like that....... They had an excellent season and reached what our real goal was of making the CWS........anything extra was gravy...... GOOD JOB TIGERS!!!!!!!!! :geaux: :lsug:

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

It aint to early to start drooling over the possiblities of next year. Determan, Mier, Bumstead, Mestepey, Wilson. Then Nall to close. Plus everyone - Hill plus Weaver, Hahn, number 1 recruting class etc etc.

Let's be proud of our Tigers. They played good ball all year. Better than I would have ever expected. And Smoke knows the game as well as anyone.

I am not ashamed. Though I think Sadler or Thompkins should have started the 8th.

9. SabanFan

I don't disagree though as it turned out Sadler was throwing some baloons up there.

10. Jean Lafitte

I absolutely agree with this excerpt from your post.

My big disagreement is with those who think that LSU fan boards are for cheerleading only.

I want the board to be a forum for sharing ideas, not a forum filled with cheerleading and propaganda.

The team and the coach have some areas that could be improved. If you don't have any ideas on what needs to be improved or how to improve it, don't attack me for merely wanting to discuss it around here.

This board would not be very interesting if all we did was pat each other on the back and prattle on about how much we've accomplished through all of the adversity. That would not be a sports fan board, that would be a "Self-Esteem Restoration" board.

So all of you who disagree with me on this point: STICK IT UP YOUR . . . .
    or, rather, STICK IT IN YOUR EAR!

(no need to get overly vulgar with my fellow LSU fans)

:geaux:

PS I am very proud of this baseball team. I'm still wearing my LSU shirt, pants and baseball cap, but my outfit brought us no luck today.