They are all saying,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Thick and Thin, Mar 30, 2006.

1. clair

clair Rockets

what you guys don't understand is that the 3 years 10 million will be there for him no matter how long he stays...

The longer he stays in the LSU program, the better his chances are to succeed...

And yeah, technically Stromile is "set," but had he stayed until he was a senior and put on an extra 20 lbs or so, he could have been a max player...

All I am trying to say is that you want to go when you feel college can no longer benefit you, and no matter where htey have Tyrus projected, college can still benefit him, because in the NBA, he won't be jumping over everyone and slamming it...

He will need a jumper...

And for the person who talked about the coaches...

What I meant was that in these camps, they will specifically put Tyrus in situations where he will have to prove he can shoot...

I talked to someone close to Brandon Bass, and they said that for 2 of the scrimmages, they told him, "We already know you can dunk, so we want you to shoot the mid-range J"

If an NBA scout tells you to do that, you will be kind of compelled to do so, which will force him to prove the doubters wrong...

I am not taking anything from this kid, but I think he should try to find a jumper at LSU, because if he don't, he is looking at a decent career, wheras if he does, he is looking at a great one...

No big man in the NBA has ever been dominant unless they came into the league dominant...

And right now, T-Time couldn't be dominant in the NBA

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Yeah, I'd do the same thing as you at $75 k. Now try $4 mil a year for 4 years guaranteed. And there's people on here saying he needs to develop more. If he can get that kind of money, the only thing you develop is a bank account.

These same people saying he needs to come back would be the first to leave for that kind of money. Especially for a guys like Thomas and Davis who have never had anything people.

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

He stays and blows a knee (god forbid)...It's happened. Take the money and run...

I'd love for him to stay...but the reality is if some team is wanting to take a chance and give him some cash I wouldn't fault him one bit for taking it. He can always do like Shaq and come finish his degree (although he would have to take a little longer to do it).

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I don't agree. You can say all you want about Stro staying he would have gotten this or that later on by developing. Dude Stro went to the league, got to play and develop every night and was still not a max player. He wasn't a max player no matter how you cut it and never will be. He developed all he could by playing every night in the league. Stro is a 4 year $20 mil guy. If you are a #2 pick in the draft with the CBA the NBA has now, you go....bottomline. What about guaranteed money is there to not understand.

Jermaine O'Neal was not dominant before he came to the league. It took him a few years to develop into what he is now. Check his numbers. That's one big man off the top of my head who developed.

5. clair

clair Rockets

and that is the only one...

and he isn't dominant, and he was also a high-schooler...

there is a difference between being 18 and being 21

and developing against people in the league is good and bad...

Stro was an emotional player, so getting owned his rookie year, probably hurt his confidence...

I know I'd take the sure money too, but I am just saying that if you make 2 scenarios

Scenario 1 being him leave now

Scenario 2 being that he stays until his game is refined

I guarantee Scenario 2 would generate more career revenue

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nope. He not only risks a career-ending injury in college that could make him undraftable, but a case can be made that playing next year in the NBA will prepare him for an NBA career better than another year in college.

The reason that he might stay is to enjoy college a little longer, to become an All-American, and leave a multi-championship LSU legacy behind him. Not to better a pro career.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Exactly my take. With his gigantic upside, why wouldn't an NBA team want to get him while they can?

8. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I agree my man. I want all of them to stay for 4 years but when somebody says he needs to come back to refine his skills over being taken in the lottery in the draft, that's LSU bias entering in.

Yeah, he should come back, go to school, get an education, delay adulthood and responsibility as long as he can. Mature, get stronger, have fun.....etc etc. I agree with all of that.

But again, it's like C. Temple said, it's like winning the lotto and turning it down to try and win it again. No one would do that....I take just as much pride in an LSU player getting drafted high and striking it rich, as I do anything else. Especially for these guys that grew up with nothing. They should go and get the money while they can get it.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

The only thing I have to add is that staying in college might benefit him more as a person, if not as a basketball player. All the money in the world won't make you happy. I know it is easy to say that and a risk to not take the money, but if he can become a more mature individual in college it would probably benefit him more on a personal level than jumping to the NBA would. Hopefully he gets good guidance on this and makes a good decision. Either way, I wish him well. Now let's go bruise the Bruins.

10. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Honestly, like I said earlier, I think you using Stro as a device for your argument is not a good one. Read these NBA mags.....Stro had the possibility to be a big time player and he had the frame, but after he has now reached his potential, he is not a $100 mil player. He is not a freak like those guys who make $100. And he does not have a good motor.....does not play hard all the time. Not physical enough. V. Carter, KG......he's not KG and wouldn't have been if he spent 2 or 4 years in college.

Bass is not a $100 mil guy either. He wasn't blessed with the physical or offensive tools KG was. He could have a nice long career in the league, make a ton of dough.....but to think all of these guys that leave LSU have the ability to be a $100 guy or KG, is incorrect. They are good players dude. But they either develop into what they are or they don't.........2 or 4 years of college isn't going to decide that.

There's one KG. Bass, Stro, Big Baby....those guys are not the next KG. They are nice players who'll have long careers I hope......but that's why you know KG. I think you maybe believe the guys you watch are better than they will be at the next level.

Now Thomas.......he has the physical tools to be an enforcer in the league for a long time. 2 or 4 years of college ain't gonna change that. He's got the energy, the motor and the will to play, develop. He can either develop it here, or in the league for 4 years-$4 mill guaranteed.