They are all saying,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Thick and Thin, Mar 30, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, I said I wasn't going to post on this topic until after the Final 4, but heck, it's a boring day at work ...

First, I think there are a few kernells of truth in both sides. There are those that will always say stay in school, and those that say go for the money. Noone can really understand Tyrus's situation except him.

I think if you are guaranteed good lottery money, it's hard to pass up (unlike the Bass situation). There can be swings of where you're picked and this can be just as bad as an injury. Do I think Tyrus could be a lottery pick again next year? Sure. But, if he does have a good final four performance, there will be those that will pick him in the top 5, perhaps top 2 or 3. Do I think he could be a success in the NBA as a "potential" pick? Yes, with hard work and god given talent, he can. It's crazy to say that developing in the L doesn't work, see Kobe, Garnett, LeBron, Smith even with the Hornets (not just O'Neal), see also those that just went to college for a year or two... Carmelo, Jordan, etc. You want to understand what kind of situation are you going to (Is it a team where you CAN develop), but as a lottery pick, you're generally going to be given a chance to play.

I think a lot of this thread's debate is in the noise level... take the money or run, or wait for longer because there might be more money down the road. I personally think it's hard to predict any of how that will turn out.

What's more important for the question is... does Tyrus enjoy college? Does he enjoy playing ball with his teammates, does he want to accomplish something special in the college game? Does he want/need the $ to do good for himself? Does he want to give up being a student for the around the year "job" of playing ball? Does he really feel ready to go guard Stro', or Shaq, or Dirk Nowitski? Alot of what it will ultimately should come down to is the subjective level and what he wants in his heart.

If he stays, I'm not buying that it hurts his lottery chances the next year. I'd love for him to stay, b/c I do think he could grow more. But, to be honest, the dude CAN hit a 15 footer, he hits good free throws, he's freaky athletic. With another year, he could learn to be more disciplined on D, and polish off his back to the basket moves. Will that take him from a top 2 or 3 pick and improve him financially? Probably not.

So, again, it comes down to the little things. Does he want to play ball at LSU another year for the love of the game, and playing in front of the PMAC crowd (oh, I forgot what crowd ...:) ). Let's hope he does...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE PART OF THE MAGIC AT PMAC!!

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I see alot of similarities in Stro and Tyrus. Not sure Tyrus has more upside than Stro. Not sure Stro fully developed either, though.