They Could Never Say This on TV These Days

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody old enough to remember the Ed Sullivan Show? Here is how he introduced James Brown on The Godfather of Soul's first national television appearance..

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Ok I will bite? What did he say that wouldn't be allowed today?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its in the video. When Sullivan introduced James Brown he said "Our next guest is a young man. He's from the South. He picked cotton and he always sang a song." Makes him sound like Uncle Remus.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Prime example of this (and i think you are 100 percent right btw) watch the old Looney Toons. Yosemite Sam would be considered a racist bastard today, even though Bugs Bunny was the first drag queen in cartoons. Think of all the stereotypes in those cartoons. I still love them though.

5. shane0911

Meh I don't know. He didn't call him a poor black boy. He said where he was from and what he did for a living. Wtf, it is what it is right?

plotalot and gyver like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You really shouldn't call Red a racist bastard. :cool: Did you ever watch Amos and Andy? It was pulled from the airwaves a long time before Sanford and Son but Fred Sanford was a lot like Kingfish except for the stereotyped dialogue.

7. shane0911

Love Sanford and Son. The theme song for that show is tirks ring tone when he calls me.

8. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

George Jefferson." The Jeffersons". He was one outspoken boot licking sob that I liked. Weeziiii! The zebras here again!

shane0911 likes this.
  9. shane0911

I might change tirks ringtone now

KyleK and Bengal B like this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No one under 55 has ever watched Amos and Andy. The old 1940's Amos and Andy radio show was done by white men who used phony black dialect to make fun of black folks. But the Amos and Andy TV show in the late 50's was played by the best black comedians of the time and it was fucking hilarious. Yes they used dialect, just like the Beverly Hillbillies, Sanford and Son, and a lot of other shows did. It became politically incorrect during the civil rights era. But if you get a chance to watch the old shows, you will find them hysterically funny. Even modern black comedians acknowledge their contribution. Amos and Andy themselves were funny characters, but Kingfish and Algonquin J. Calhoun had us rolling on the floor.

This was at the height of Jim Crow but black people were on TV and white people were watching. It was breakthrough comedy and will be treated well by history.

LSUDad and COTiger like this.