Think About Saban History

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu92, Sep 6, 2004.

1. lsu92

lsu92 Founding Member

and how you felt after these games.

1. 2000 UAB - lost 13-10
    2. 2001 Ole Miss - lost 35-24
    3. 2002 Virginia Tech - lost 26-8
    4. 2003 Florida - lost 19-7

Now think about what happened the week after these performances

1. 2000 Tennessee - win 38-31 over top 10 team
    2. 2001 Alabama - win 35-21 set all time SEC pass and recieving yard records, while also winning out the rest of the season.
    3. 2002 String together six straight with Mauck & co destroying Florida 36-7
    4. 2003 South Carolina win 33-7 and run the table win the NC.

Now think about how bad our offensive line played in season openers in 2002 and 2003. They did not play well, but it did not take long to put it together.

2004 - We started the season with one of our worst performances in the Saban era, but we DID NOT lose the game. This engine will be running at top speed soon enough. Russell will be the QB and he will be fine.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Good post :thumb:

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Absolutely.

Thanks for the reminder.

4. I'm also thinking of the improvement we experienced last year from the sluggish first half of the ULM game to outclassing Arizona in the next game.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I say the Tigers are ahead of schedule. Last year it wasn't until Florida that we had our "sleepwalking" game and we lost it. We won this friggin' game. Ponder this:

1. If the Tigers needed a wakeup call they got it in the first quarter of the first game this year.

2. Our first mud game is behind us already.

3. Our "came out flat" game is behind us already.

4. The best defense LSU will face all year is behind us already.

5. BOTH quarterbacks have their first-game jitters behind them.

6. Thirteen All-SEC players including six embarassed All-Americans have something to prove, starting with game #2.

Auburn thought they were going to catch the Tigers overconfident and unprepared. LSU got better in each game after Florida last year and we have started early this season. We will work out the remaining problems on Arkansas State and this team will go into Auburn fine-tuned and with a chip on their shoulder. :geaux:

6. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Does anyone really think that the pu$$ 10 has the best defense that LSU will face all year?

7. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

UGA will have the best D LSU will face. OSU came ready to shock the world wait till next week OSu and see if they are flat or will be ready. this lsu team will get better and better tons of young talent learning. This team is going to be very very good....

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I agree with Red's post for the most part but OSU's defense isn't better than Georgia.
    Everyone is trying to say they are a real good defense but I say it was more of our
    offense not executing than their defense being all that great.

Look at Usuck and their in-experienced WR's in their opening game for instance.

Its amazing to me just how good OSU's defense was when JR went into the game
    and we started to move the ball on them and score if no other reason than in desperation for us to win this game.

Look at the holding penalties against them in ot or has everyone already forgotten?? :confused:

I trust the coaches to right the ship and fix the problems and look forward to the rest of the season.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Oregon State was ranked #7 in total defense last year and I didn't see a lot of drop-off. Georgia was ranked #5, but we played them twice and handled them easily. Whitworth handled Pollack easily, but almost got his ass handed to him by the OSU end.

I think these guys finish ranked above Georgia in total defense this year.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

My bad, I didn't realize they were ranked up their last year.

I did take OSU for granted because they lost to Fresno State last year.
    I favor Fresno State from all the schools out west since I spent a few
    years in Fresno and saw Kevin Sweeney play there so I wasn't trying to knock Fresno State.

I just don't think a Wac team should be able to beat a major conference team that is suppose to be good so I thought we would beat OSU handily. :nope: