Think they can do it

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by William, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Just out of curiousity...who is the 2nd team? Bama, Ole Miss?

2. purplejoe

purplejoe Founding Member

Bama...they are much improved

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Aubie, I was talking about the SEC East's talent level. I said that LSU should win the SEC West, thus I didn't feel the need to talk about other SEC West teams' talents.

Auburn & Alabama should compete for 2nd in the SEC West. Auburn will be a good team, 8-9 wins but LSU's experience plus last year's motivation should be more than enough to make LSU the SEC West champs. And yes, you are looking through Auburn goggles. Last year's success was built mostly upon all the people that left your team this year. You still have talent, but that's not enough in the SEC.

4. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I still expect to see LSU and Georgia match up in Atlanta again this season.

Both Florida and Tennessee have to play both LSU and Alabama while Georgia doesn't play either. Georgia has two weeks to prepare for Tennessee.

If Florida and Tennessee can go 4-0, head to head against LSU in Baton Rouge (both games) and Alabama in Tuscaloosa (both games) , I will be wrong, and one of those teams will end up in the Georgia Dome.

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I follow a local Athens forum called OnLineAthens. Most of the visitors are VOL fans. It is typically best during recruiting season.

6. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

[QUOTE10/15/05 Florida-a*** kicked- Our dc will not put heat on leak with his no blitzing style defense

I am concerned with our defense though b/c I heard Pelini(sp) runs a vanilla defense compared to Saban which is why I think we will get destroyed by Florida. [/QUOTE]

I believe the opposite is true. Pelini is known to love to blitz. Pelinis defense in 2003 at Nebraska, the best barometer for what we will see here IMO, was to pressure the QB from all over the field. That team intercepted 32 passes (over 2 a game) and I don't recall the sack total, but the teams sack leader had 10 by himself if I remember correctly. The team total was impressive also I just can't remember the exact number. Pelinis philosophy is to pressure the QB first and foremost and cause him to make mistakes, alot like Saban. The biggest difference most people will point out is the use of man-to-man vs. zone, but pelini will use man-to-man and stated he will use both here at LSU. I don't mind this as long as the defense is aggressive and attacks and plays solid coverage, Pelini himself said thats what he runs, and 2003 Nebraska is evidence of that. 32 ints is a tremendous amount of ints, I doubt that would have been possible if they were not putting tremendous pressure on the QB's.

Go and do a google search on the 2003 nebraska defense, I think you will like what you read.

:crystal:
    LSU!

:champs:

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Turbo, I think you are correct in going back to the Cornhuskers to see what Bo's scheme's will be like. He was one of 3 at OU and althoughy I won't dismiss his year there completely, it is impossible to know how much of the decisions were his and also it's hard to know if the DC's were on the same page all the time.

Now, that Nebraska D was good, the shining light of that team.

Total D--11th---297 ypg

Rushing D--24th--119 ypg

Passing D--11th--177 ypg

Pass Effeciency D--1st--88.66

Turnover Margin--1st--+1.77 per game

Passes Intercepted--1st--32 in 13 games

Fumbles Recovered--17th--15 total

Tunrovers Gained--2nd--47 Total

Scoring D--2nd--14.5 per game

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

wow...just freaking wow! cajdav and turbotiger just made me get really excited about our defense this fall! i knew the blackshirts were good, but had no idea they were THAT good. those numbers are phenomenal. over 2 INTs/game? are you kidding me?! :eek:

i bet meyer never saw a defense that aggressive in the MWC!!

if he can instill that sort of aggression into our D unit...with miles and jimbo calluding their offensive savvy on the other side...i'd say some SEC foes will be having some serious nightmares this fall!
    duh duh duh duh :geauxtige

duh duh duh duh...kick their ass!

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

:eek: Woo-wee, Auburn *second* best shot at winning conference?

That must be some *real* good "sticky icky" youse got! :wink:

I do think we'll see a shift back towards the SEC East this year in terms of balance of power. Florida, Georgia, Tenn, S. Carolina all should be competitive to good, whereas only LSU, Alabama and Auburn are likely to fit that bill in the West.

They get Tennessee in Knoxville and that Boise St matchup is real interesting, but Georgia may be in a spot where they may hang around and outlast the other powers in the East to snag the division.

Damn, is it football season yet? :helmet:

10. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I hope you are right and that LSU kicks the crap out of Florida in Baton Rouge.

If I remember correctly, didn't the Florida players damage the field and tear up the LSU! logo the last time they came to Red Stick?