This 26 point loss to Georgia should come as no surprise

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sabertooth, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

This loss should have been no surprise.

LSU is a very bad road SEC team under John Brady. Prior to this year, LSU is 8-24 on the road in the SEC for the last four years under Brady. LSU 24 losses in this four-year span were around 13 1/2 points a game. This stat would be even worse but I could not find the results for the 1997-1998 year – Brady’s first and LSU worst in the last five years. I believe Brady is 0-5 in SEC road openers. Now he is 0-6. Yes, it is hard to win on the road in the SEC, but LSU is not even competitive on the road for the most part. Other teams can win on the road so that is not totally a justifiable excuse.

The following results are how LSU fared in SEC road openers:

2001-2002 Alabama 76-74 (2 point loss)
    2000-2001 Auburn 85-69 (16 point loss)
    1999-2000 Florida 82-57 (25 point loss)
    1998-1999 Tenn 93-58 (35 point loss)

A new one to add:

2002-2003 Georgia 89-63 (26 point loss)

Do you think there is any reason for this slow start?

My vote has to go with Brady’s choice to play a weak-ass pre-conference schedule. I know they played Arizona at home but whom else? Texas A&M was at a neutral site. A John Brady coach team historically has not been ready to play on the road in the SEC early in the season. The only game that was close was LSU’s SEC opener on the road against Alabama last year - a game that they should have won. They follow that performance with a 32-point trouncing by Florida the next week.

Am I the only one who is sick of Brady's scheduling? The bottom line in NCAA college basketball is making it to the NCAA tournament. We all know that the NCAA committee does not like a team who plays weak-ass schedules. LSU record has been water down under Brady because on the weak pre-conference schedule. The NCAA committee likes to compare records against other teams that make the tournament. LSU has no chance if Brady won’t schedule them. The only reason we are playing Arizona is because Dale Brown scheduled that series. What is wrong with playing a Duke or a North Carolina or a Michigan State or an Indiana in an away game early in the season to get your kids some exposure and experience of playing on the road? Who cares if we get beat by 30 points? At least we do not get embarrassed in a SEC road opening game that means a lot more.

Enough of my rant and rave – I still think LSU has a decent club this year and they will win they fair share of games. But if LSU is sitting on the bubble at the end of the season at 19-9 with an 8-8 SEC record or 18-10 and a 7-9 SEC, do not be surprise if we are playing in the NIT again. Remember Georgia made the NCAA tournament one year with a 16-14 record because they played a hard schedule.

Geaux Tigers

2. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

While watching the game.........

I heard it mentioned that officials are looking into a possible SEC-Big 12 challenge tourney, ala ACC-Big 10. I think this is an excellent idea. Is something like this scheduled by the conferences, our do the individual schools determine how it comes about? This would be one way to boost the pre-SEC schedule.

3. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Can't argue with you Saber....I love Brady as a coach but his scheduling has to get better/tougher. he commented earlier this year that "he didn't have to schedule tough yet, he would get his team ready on his own"....I would like to see how he personally simulates 12,000 opposing fans.

the sec schedule will make up for patsy non-conf schedule but yes the committee does like to see you play some tough non-conf.

If it's a 18-19 win season or less there ncaa hopes are not good. but i like there chances. i would say anywhere from 8-0 to 6-2 at home in conference. if they can win half of there road games then they should be any where from 10-6 to 12-4 in the league...that should get you in.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I hate to break it to you guys but except for Duke and a handful of others who get big TV bucks to schedule tough pre conference matchups, everybody plays patsies to get ready for the conference grind. Bama, for instance warmed up against Berry College,Birmingham Southern, UT San Antonio, S.F. Austin, Liberty and Bucknell. Pitt took on such luminaries as Ark. Pine Bluff, Norfolk State SE la, and Robert Morris. UConn (currently ranked 4th) toughened itself up against Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, Wagner and UNC-Asheville. By the time you've got 10 or 11 games under your belt, it doesn't matter who you played. You either got it or you don't. Non conf patsies may affect attendance but all the big boys will get you early on is a loss. Playing an SEC schedule will generate enough RPI to get you in the tournament. You've just got to win more than you lose.

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

SabanFan I understand your point but

LSU played two games away from the PMAC this year. Texas A&M and Tulane - one a neutral site and the other one a semi-neutral site being Tulane plays some of their home games in the Arena. I look at Georgia pre-conference schedule and it is definitely harder. Look at the road games.

Georgia Schedule:

Three ranked teams (ranking at the time they played)
    #2 Pittsburgh
    #5 Texas
    #22 at Minnesota

Plus
    at Colorado
    at California
    Gonzaga
    at Georgia Tech

Everybody plays cupcakes every year. It's just the amount of cupcakes. Other than Arizona who is a quality team LSU played or beat? Don't say UNO. They are a mid-level Sunbelt team but they do have a very good player in Romero.

All I would like to see is LSU play 2-3 ranked teams in preconference schedule and play on the road(not at a neutral site) 2-3 times a year.

You mentioned Connecticut and Pittsburgh

Out of conference away games:

Connecticut:

Oklahoma #11
    North Carolina
    Vanderbilt

Pittsburgh:

Georgia
    Penn State
    Rhode Island

Quality opponents - Vanderbilt may be question but they are tough in Nashville

6. SabanFan

Re: SabanFan I understand your point but

Good response. Point scored!

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I don't think it is as much as playing some real high quality opponents as playing some competition from some respectable conferences.....the worst in the Big 10 or Big 12 kicks the shit out of the #1 from the MEAC, Sunbelt, etc. all the big conferences are tough so just play someone out of them. Case in point, Ark is down this year but they would be considered a good non-conf to anyone in one of the top conferences.

8. SabanFan

I hate it when I'm wrong.