This day in history...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jul 20, 2019.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You don't know much about him then.

Shakin, Give me some water, baby hold on to me. That dude is money

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I never hear those on the radio.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

August 15 is a busy day in history....

On this day in 1483, Pope Sixtus IV celebrates the first Mass in the Sistine Chapel. Although the chapel contains numerous works of art, it will be another 25 years before Michelangelo is commissioned to paint the ceiling.

On this day in 1914, the Panama Canal is dedicated. It took 33 years to build, begun by the French and completed by USA.

On this day in 1947, India declared its independence from Great Britain.

On this day in 1969, the Woodstock Music and Arts Fair begins. Over the next 4 days, more than 400,000 hippies will flock to Max Yasgur's dairy farm in upstate New York to smoke grass and dance naked in the rain to Janis Joplin's squawking.
    [​IMG]
    I kid! I get the significance of Woodstock, just never understood the appeal of Janis Joplin.

My wife and I were married on August 5. One of her aunts gave us an engraved cake knife as a wedding present, but the engraver made a mistake and engraved the date as August 15. We always refer to today as the Cake Knife Anniversary.

HalloweenRun, kcal, Frogleg and 3 others like this.
  4. mctiger

This day in history just doesn't compare to yesterday.....
    On this day in 1812, General William Hull surrenders Fort Detroit to the British in one of the earlier engagements of the War of 1812.

On this day in 1896, a discovery of gold along a tributary of the Klondike River triggers the Yukon Gold Rush. An estimated 100,000 prospectors swarmed the region, but few struck it rich.

On this day in 1974, The Ramones make their debut at a club in the Bowery neighborhood of NYC. Many consider it the birth of punk rock.

5. mctiger

Can't believe I found this on YouTube. My older brother had this comedy album when we were kids. Here's a cut in celebration of the anniversary of Woodstock:

shane0911 likes this.
  6. mctiger

On this day in 1969, Hurricane Camille came ashore near Biloxi, bringing with it 175 mph winds and a 24 foot storm surge. It claimed 259 lives and caused $1.43 billion in damage.
    [​IMG]

On this day in 1945, revolutionaries in Indonesia take advantage of the Dutch government's weakened position in the Pacific post-WWII, seizing control of the island and declaring their independence, ending 300 years as a Dutch colony.

On this day in 1908, Emil Cohl releases "Fantasmagorie" in Paris, a 1 minute, 20 second film that is a series of chalk drawings on glass. It is considered the first animated film.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

We were in Florida when Cammile hit. On the drive back through Mississippi I saw a large ship that had been pushed ashore so fsr that it was blocking the highway. And I had no idea what city we were in. Nothing but devastation from border to border.

watson1880 likes this.
  8. mctiger

On this day in 1831, Nat Turner, a slave on a Virginia plantation, led a revolt that led to about 60 deaths, mostly white Virginians, over the next few days. Turner escaped when the rebellion was put down, but was captured about two months later and hanged.

On this day in 1883, a F5 tornado devastated Rochester, MN. Dr. William Mayo is among those who volunteered their medical skills to hard-hit areas with no immediate access to health care. In the aftermath, he and his sons would open the Mayo Clinic.

On this day in 1911, an employee of the Louvre museum in Paris left for home at the end of the day. No one noticed he had the Mona Lisa tucked under his coat. Vincenzo Peruggio kept the masterpiece hidden in a trunk for 2 years before he was captured.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  9. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Thank you for the best laugh of the day.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. mctiger

It took me a minute....I've typed that name a few times in the golf tournament thread lately, and my fingers went on cruise control. I laughed hard too!