This day in history...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jul 20, 2019.

1. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Dude was hard as nails

mctiger and shane0911 like this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I think this is the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I was very young and it scared to crap out of me

el005639 and mctiger like this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

There were about 5 other things I could have gone with for today. Briefly, on this day, Adolph Hitler was wounded in WWI, Gen. Irwin Rommel committed suicide, Nikita Kruschev was ousted as Soviet Premier, the Everly Brothers' first hit debuted, so did the movie Pulp Fiction, and the Pentagon announced that about 25,000 soldiers and Marines would be involuntarily sent for an unprecendented 2nd tour of duty in Viet Nam.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Mine was the original Halloween. I didn't sleep for what seems like a week, but was really only a couple of days.

Winston1 and shane0911 like this.
  5. shane0911

I never knew that

6. mctiger

He had become involved in a plot to overthrow Hitler before D-Day, though he refused to discuss assassination. Later, he was nearly killed in a car accident. While convalescing at home, 2 generals of the High Command visited him, told him they knew of his part in the plot, and offered him the choice of taking cyanide (they thoughtfully brought some with them) or face a public trial for treason. He told his family good-bye and took the poison. The public was told he died from his wounds in the accident and he was given a state funeral.

el005639, Bengal B and shane0911 like this.
  7. mctiger

This was a day in history for French executions.....on this day in 1917, the French executed Dutch exotic dancer Margreet MacLeod, better known by her stage name, Mata Hari, as a German spy.
    [​IMG]On this same day in 1945 they executed Pierre Laval for treason. Laval, former Premier of France in the '30's, cooperated with the Nazis in the surrender of the Vichy state and was eventually installed as puppet leader of the region.

On this day in 1965, the student-run National Coordinating Committee to End the War in Vietnam, stages its first public demonstrations. In 40 cities around the country, an estimated 100,000 people attend. Some of the draft-eligible young men in attendance burn their draft cards, a federal offense.

On this day in 1989, Wayne Gretzky tied Gordie Howe's NHL points record with an assist in the first period of the LA Kings game against Gretzky's former team, the Edmonton Oilers. He then broke the record with a game-tieing goal with just over a minute to play, and for good measure, scored the game winning goal in overtime.

GiantDuckFan and shane0911 like this.
  8. mctiger

On this day in 1859, abolitionist John Brown led a small group of followers in a raid on the federal armory at Harper's Ferry, VA. They took a small group of hostages and held the armory for 3 days, until being overrun by a company of Marines under the command of Colonel Robert E. Lee. Ten men, including 2 of Brown's sons, are killed, and Brown himself captured. He was executed 2 months later.

On this day in 1923, cartoonist Walt Disney and his brother Roy found the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio in Hollywood.

On this day in 1969, the New York Mets beat the Baltimore Orioles in Game 5 of the World Series to complete one of sports' greatest miracle finishes. Established in 1962, the Mets had never had a winning season before '69 and were a 100 to 1 longshot to win the series before the season began.

On this day in 1987, rescue workers pulled 18-month old Jessica McClure from an abandoned well behind her daycare center in Midland, TX. She had fallen in and got stuck 22 feet below the surface 58 hours earlier. EMT personnel, mine workers and other local volunteers worked non-stop to dig a parallel rescue shaft to avoid collapsing the well. The final moments of the rescue were nationally televised. "Baby Jessica" would lose a toe to gangrene but was otherwise uninjured.
    [​IMG]

GiantDuckFan and shane0911 like this.
  9. shane0911

I think Mickey was originally named Mortimer

10. mctiger

I've heard that one too. The backstory I read on the company founding was that Walt had done a short cartoon based on Alice in Wonderland in his previous gig, and had received a contract to do six more shorts on the Alice theme. That kept the new studio busy for the next five years, along with a few other minor projects, while he developed Mickey.