This day in history...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jul 20, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

On this day in 1777,about 5,000 British soldiers and Hessian mercenaries surrender to General Horatio Gates at the 2nd Battle of Saratoga. It is the first major surrender of British troops of the American revolution. More importantly, word of the victory spurs French King Louis XVI to recognize American independence, and to formally offer military aid to the new country.

On this day in 1835, the Lone Star Republic formally establishes the Texas Rangers, a corps of armed and mounted troops tasked to safeguard the frontier between the Trinity and Brazos rivers. The Texas equivalent of the American militia, the Republic elects to keep the Rangers after their independence from Mexico is won, to police the frontier against bandits and Indian incursions.

On this day in 1931, Chicago gangster Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years in prison for tax evasion, and fined $80,000. He was sent to the federal prison in Atlanta, but was transferred to Alcatraz, where he spent 8 years before being paroled for good behavior. Capone died of various ailments in 1947.

On this day in 1973, OPEC announces an oil embargo against the US and other nations that backed Israel during the Yom Kippur War earlier in the year. The embargo ends in March of 1974, after the US negotiates an agreement that will pull Israeli troops from Syria. But by then, gas prices in the US had quadrupled, and by 1980, gas cost 10 times what it cost in 1973.

On this day in 1989,a magnitude 6.9 earthquake rocks San Fransisco, causing 63 deaths, 3700 injuries and nearly $6 billion in damage. The quake struck moments before Game 3 of the World Series was to begin between San Francisco and Oakland. The Bay Series becomes the Quake Series.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was watching Al Michaels opening comments when the quake struck.

Winston1 likes this.
  3. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I waited over 25 years for the Giants to make it to the world series,.. when we finally do, that happens

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And they got swept.

5. GiantDuckFan

lol, there's that cruel streak of yours again

shane0911 likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was rooting for Oakland. Probably because of the Bash Brothers.

7. GiantDuckFan

yeah, they were good, I liked them before the World Series, but not after

actually I've always liked, McGwire,.. I give him a pass on his PED use... After the baseball strike, the game was in serious trouble, a case can be made, that McGwire's chase of the HR record lured the fans back,.. Mark McGwire may have saved Baseball

Winston1, shane0911 and Bengal B like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

McGwire hit 49 home runs his rookie year in 1987. He sat out the final game to watch his son being born,

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. GiantDuckFan

he coulda had fifty, what a pathetic loser

Bengal B likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

His counter part for years was the 3rd member of the 40/40 club along with Bonds and A rod. Of course it was years ago and many more in there now but back then no one would guess Canseco