This day in history...

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jul 20, 2019.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

On April 2, 2005, Pope John Paul II dies at the Vatican. The Catholic Church forbids autopsy on the Pope, but it is believed he had Parkinson's disease. Born Karol Jozef Wojtyla, the Polish-born JPII was the first non-Italian Pope since the 16th century. He was also the youngest pope at his selection; 58 years old.
    [​IMG]
    On April 2, 1982, Argentina occupies the Falkland Islands and 2 other British dependents in the South Atlantic, claiming them to be rightfully theirs. A 74-day undeclared war with Great Britain will follow, with Argentina withdrawing from the islands in the end.

On April 2, 1968, 2001: A Space Odyssey opens in Washington DC. A collaboration of director Stanley Kubrick and sci-fi master author Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 is soon hailed as a masterpiece, offering, among other things, a vivid possible look at humankind's future in space (its release comes 14 months before the first moon landing).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    shane0911 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

"Hal, open the pod door." "I can't do that Dave."

The future of AI? Elon Musk warns ot the danger to mankind.

mctiger and Winston1 like this.
  3. mctiger

4. mctiger

So did the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. For the uninitiated, the woman is a Cylon.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I never watched but a couple of episodes of Battlestar Galactica but the robots dancing to the Jimi Hendrix song was cool. They should make that a whole video.

6. mctiger

I know a lot of people were disappointed in the final season but I thought it was some of the best television sci fi ever done, especially the first 2 seasons.

7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I looked on google earth you can find it and you can see the granite slabs from the street view. It in the southern end of the island

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So its down by Kadena then, that might explain it. I was at Hansen and usually only went to Kadena to chase the air force girls around. I did a lot of scuba diving on and around the Island but don't recall ever diving on the south. Oh well.

9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I was there 2 times total of 24 months. I was stationed at futenma 1 year and foster the second but I spent time at all the camps on the island, including Schwab.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. mctiger

On April 3, 1860, the Pony Express begins operations, as riders simultaneously depart St. Joseph, MO and Sacramento, CA carrrying about 20 pounds of mail. The westbound rider would reach his destination on April 13, with the eastbound rider arriving on the 15th. The Pony Express would cease operations in October 1861, made obsolete in just 18 months when the first intercontinental telegraph line is strung.

On April 3, 1948, President Harry S. Truman signs the Economic Assistance Act - the Marshall Plan, named for SecState George C Marshall, who first proposed it - which authorized the creation of a program that would help the nations of Europe recover and rebuild after World War II. Over the next 4 years, the US, Great Britain and France would loan or give $13 billion to 17 western and southern European nations. The benefited nations all saw their GDP increase by 15 to 25 percent.

On April 3, 1865, Richmond, Virginia, capital of the Confederacy, is captured by Union troops under General Ulysses S. Grant.

On April 3, 1882, notorious frontier criminal Jesse James is shot to death by fellow gang member Bob Ford, who betrayed James for reward money.

On April 3, 1996, Theodore J. Kaczynski is arrested at his cabin in the wilderness of Montana and accused of being the Unabomber, blamed for 16 mail bombings that killed three people and injured 23 during an 18-year period.

On April 3, 1936, Bruno Richard Hauptmann is executed for the 1932 kidnapping and murder of the 20-month-old son of national aviation hero Charles Lindbergh.

On April 3, 1948, a new live music program, The Louisiana Hayride, debuts on KWKH AM in Shreveport. The program is a direct knockoff of Nashville's wildly popular Grand Ole Opry, with 2 notable exceptions: the Hayride makes occasional format shifts from country to the evolving style of rock and roll, and it gives a platform to new unheard of performers, whereas the Opry booked only established talent. Among others, Hank Williams and Elvis Presley can thank the Hayride for their first major exposure. LKF: it is at the conclusion of a return performance on the Hayride by Elvis that one of rock's most famous catchphrases is first heard. Seeing hordes of fans rush the stage as The King left the stage, program MC Horace Logan announces,“Please, young people…Elvis has left the building…please take your seats.”

shane0911 and Bengal B like this.