This has bugged my for a while

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, May 8, 2003.

1. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Ever since I have attended my first game at Tiger Stadium in the student section something has bugged me. Whats the deal with the frat people. They show up late(sometime in the 1st quarter) and come dressed like they are going to a wedding. They are dressed in their $60 button up shirts, nice slacks and expensive dress shoes. I have even seen guys wearing a suit to the game. Then they end up staying mabey 1 to 1.5 quarters and leave. By the 4th quarter 1/4 of the student section is empty. I know that this is a tradition with the frats to dress up but why do you do this. You don't need to show off how much money you have by wearing expensive clothes to a football game. If you come to Tiger Stadium you get their early, stay for the entire game and support the team. We have one of the loudest, crazy student sections in America. You are their to support the Tigers, wear your purple and gold, paint your body, make a sign, do something to support the team. Real Tiger Fans bleed purple and gold. Get out their and support the Tigers.

Sorry about the long post. I just had to get this off my chest.

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I guess some people just aren't football fans, so they go to the game just because everyone else is. Then they get bored and leave. I really don't know how people could do this, I mean its LSU football, how can you not love that. But then you have to remember that everyone is not as perfect as us.

3. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

I'm sure a few of them would rather just go to the party after - don't really care about the game.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Don't let the slick duds fool ya. They dress up nice, come to the stadium, down a 5th of bourbon, and leave with "Rand McNally"eyes, shirts untucked, and dates who can't seem to walk anymore or keep their eyes open. Transformation from prim and proper to slobs.

5. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

It's all a tradition. I was part of all that. While I didn't leave early and I came on time, I can tell you it is just a lot of fun to dress up and be part of a tradition. Al ot of the frat guys at LSU are more intererested in drinking in the parking lot and chasing tail than watching a great football game. Wow...I can't believe I just said chasing tail...I'm getting old. Don't worry about those guys, for every three of them that don't care about the game, there is one that loves it and is die hard...It's just the way it is.

6. LSU667

LSU667 Founding Member

I had to register to reply to this thread.

I have been reading these forums for about a year and half and this is one of the most ignorant posts i have ever seen.

I graduated 2 years ago from LSU and was a proud member of a fraternity there. I just hate seeing the broad stroke of all "frat" guys are rich drunken slobs who show up late and leave early. Myself and my brothers(a small/mid sized fraternity) attended every game and/stayed to the end of almost every game... some left for various reasons but most remained. Those that left would usually be harrassed. I would usually arrive about 45 mins before gametime if i couldn't make the marchdown to the stadium. Do many people in the student section show up late and leave early? Yes. Are they all fraternity and sorority members? NO. Im sure none of the none greek students do this stuff.

During my five years at LSU where were 95% of the fights i witnessed? In the non greek section.

Oh another stereotype i love: All greeks are loaded. I had zero cash during my tenure(as well as most of my brothers) at LSU but still wanted to look as nice as possible. So i wore pretty much the same clothes to every game. The soles were falling off my crap dress shoes they were so old. (Yes it is a tradition) Most games i would wear khakis/white button down/tie. Wow SO DRESSY!! The only time i wore a jacket was to homecoming games. How many people would you even notice leaving the student section if they weren't even dressed up.

Keep your eyes on the non greek section the next time there is a blowout or when the skies open up( Florida day game back in '99 or '00). Ooops i forgot. It never rains in tiger stadium.

I Bleed Purple and Gold!!! and i don't have to paint my body(which i did as a pledge once) or wear all purple to prove it.

7. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Well I guess I was wrong to say all frat people do this. Sorry about the negative sterotype.

8. LSU667

LSU667 Founding Member

I don't mean to go off on a rant and come off as an ass, but this stereotype just bugs the heck out of me.

Maybe im just more p'od that i live in NJ and only get to make maybe 1 or 2 games a year. :mad:

9. Latide97

Latide97 Founding Member

That tradition is carried at just about every SEC school. I know Bama and Auburn for sure. They are harmless and I have yet to see a fraternity guy or sorority girl who didnt support their team.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

It a game not a fashion show

You don't go to a game in your sunday best. Real football fans wear the same shirt every week, and they never wash it.
    About the greeks... The drunks are everywhere, but one time I sat by a greek fellow who told me that he got his 9th MIP that day. He was a freshman. He later wet his pants, and passed out in his dates arms.