This just in: Officiating to give Tennessee Women's the National Championship

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Apr 4, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

First it was the Baylor game and one of the worst last second calls in all of sports that I have ever seen.

Now down the stretch, officiating has basically handed Pat Summitt a chance at championship #7. First an obvious batted ball out of bounds on Tennessee called the other way and Tennessee keeps possession and hits a 3. Then on the last LSU possession Temeka Johnson commits a travel, it's not called, and the ball is turned over instead as the play continues and Tennessee hits an easy layup with 1 second left on the clock.

Great season LSU....it's too bad you were playing against the officials as well as the Tennessee Volunteers today.

Beware Minnesota or Connecticut. You have no chance to beat Tennessee. The officials will make sure of that.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You sound like a Tulane fan. They won we lost period.

3. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

The officials were pretty pathetic, but I feel it went both ways, but that one call with 3 seconds on the shot clock really hurt us.

4. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

I disagree. UConn has the referees in their pockets, too. I watched their East Regional Final and can assure you that the refs give them pretty much every call. Now, the Baylor debacle is still a blight on this tournament, but I hope that was just incompetence. Remember, as bad a men's officiating can be, women's basketball gets even worse officials. You get more money and prestige to referee men, so the calibur of wmen's hoops referees is likely not too good.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I would not have had much of a problem on the batted ball had the ref that called it not had a good view, but damn it was right in the face of that ref.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

So the officials knew that if they ignored the travel she would turn the ball over and give Tennessee the win?

7. DDTigerFan

After the Baylor fiasco, the NCAA probably told the officials to not blow the whistle with less than 10 seconds left on the clock.

8. alaman

alaman Founding Member

I believe Johnson was hit on the elbow before she walked and a foul should have been called. Also, old #33 was hit in the arm around the elbow constantly when she shot with no fouls called.

9. DDTigerFan

There was no foul on the final play. It was simply a good trap and a mistake, one of the very few of the night, by Johnson.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i thought LSU got a lot of calls that usually goes tennessee's way. i think we had our fair share if not the majority of the calls. What killed this team is 13 of 20 from the line and about 15 easy layups/put backs. They lost it themselves.