This sums it up

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Jan 2, 2005.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Thats all Tiger fans can do at this point is give the guy their support and wait and see. Hopefully he will suprise many and do a really good job, but only time will tell.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Saban v. Miles.

The fact is that in Nov 99, Saban had better coaching success and credentials than Miles has in Jan 05.

If you don't believe me, simply Google "Les Miles" and you will see for yourself.

The salient differences are thus:

-- When LSU hired him, Saban was a successful HC at Toledo and Mich St; Miles only at Ok St

-- When LSU hired him, Saban was a successful DC at the Cleveland Browns, where he brought that D from worst to first; Miles was Tight Ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys for 2 years

-- When LSU hired him, Saban was recommended and lauded by one of the NFL's premier General Manager's, Bill Polian; Polian said back in 1999 that Saban was ready to be a NFL HC; Miles is recommended by nobody in the NFL, and maybe nobody anywhere.

-- When LSU hired him, Saban had won 10 games in a season at Mich St.; Miles has never won 10 games as a HC.

I'm not trying to bash Coach Miles. I have no idea how much success he'll have at LSU. However, I will correct any and everyone who tries to convince us that Miles comes to us in Jan 05 with the same credentials and experience that Saban had in Nov 99, because that is patently FALSE.

PS I'm not trying to offend or bash you or anybody in particular, so please don't feel "singled out."

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

No one is saying Miles has better credentials...but we are just pointing out how ridiculous the argument is that Miles is not that good because of his record.....shown by our previous coach.

Under similiar circumstances....Miles did quite well if not very well.

I saw on another post where you glorified everything about Saban then just kind of threw Miles stuff together as if none of it mattered.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Not sure what you mean here.

Facts are facts. I don't need to embellish or glorify Saban record as it was in Nov 99 to point out that in Nov 99 Saban had accomplished more in coaching than Miles has in Jan 05. Do you dispute this point of fact or not, Sir?

5. MarineTiger

Like I have said before, no one is trying to say that Miles had a better previous record.

We are just pointing out how ridiculous it is that people slam Miles for his 28-21 record when Saban had the same thing at an institution that was similiar to OSU's. Thus, that argument has a lot of holes.

And yes....facts are facts that can be twisted and turned to make one side look better then another. With that said, Saban's past before MSU is better IMO then Miles but that doesn't make Miles any less qualified to take our team to continue staying at the top of college football.

6. NuAwlinsTiger

NuAwlinsTiger Freshman

Seems to me everyone is forgetting right before Saban took over MSU, they had been put on big time probation with scholarship reductions. Are you saying OSU was on probation while Miles was coaching them? If not, then circumstances weren't very similiar.

7. MarineTiger

From what I understood about Saban's infractions probe, they only had 2 reductions....I could very well be wrong though about that....

8. NuAwlinsTiger

NuAwlinsTiger Freshman

NCAA Infractions Report for MSU

http://www.ncaa.org/releases/infractions/1996/1996091602in.htm

Gist of the scholly reductions:

Reduction by two in initial football scholarships during the 1996-97 academic year, to 23 initial scholarships.

Reduction by six in total football scholarships during the 1996-97 academic year, to 79 total scholarships.

Reduction by seven of initial football scholarships during the 1997-98 academic year, to 18 initial scholarships.

9. MarineTiger

Whats exactly is the difference in initial and total scholarships?

10. NuAwlinsTiger

NuAwlinsTiger Freshman

Initial is how many you can bring on in any one recruiting year (25 is the max).

Total is how many you can have on scholly at any one time (85 is the max).