THis war IS ABOUT OIL DAMMIT....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by InVinoVeritas, Mar 13, 2003.

1. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Founding Member

FRANCE stands accused of trying to shield a £50BILLION payday by refusing to sanction war against Saddam Hussein.

The colossal sum is the reward for developing two of Iraq’s biggest untapped oilfields.

Jacques Chirac has wriggled desperately in a bid to save the huge bonanza.

He is also determined to save trade worth more than £1billion a year.

Experts believe a new regime in Iraq would want to renegotiate existing contracts — with the French squeezed out.

French petrol firm TotalFinaElf has exclusive exploration contracts from Saddam to develop two vast untapped oilfields at Majnoon and Bin Umar.

Although oil is the richest prize, France’s trade with Saddam has risen from £440million in 1997 to £1.1billion in 2001.

Sales of French goods have soared by 65 per cent and France has “priority supplier” status.

The country appears to be exploiting the UN “oil for food” programme to sell its products in Iraq, where international trade sanctions apply.

One Paris industrialist said: “Once you’re past the UN sanctions, all contracts are honoured and payments made on time.”

President Chirac remains the only Western leader ever to have met Saddam, and has described him as “a personal friend”.

Chirac has also been accused of taking bungs from firms in return for awarding contracts worth £100million while mayor of Paris.

But a judge had to shelve his inquiry because Chirac has immunity from prosecution.

2. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

France, Russa, W and Germany....

3 whores and a baby...

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Maybe France's involvement (or lack thereof) is about oil, but I don't think the US's is.

We get most of our oil from Canada and Mexico. Do we plan to attack them?

If we wanted mid-east oil, we have Kuwaiit's.

If we wanted Iraq's oil, we could have taken it in 1991.

"No blood for oil" is just a catchy slogan that some use because it can fool those that don't know the whole story.

It's just more bumper sticker politics.

4. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

I could probably agree with you assessment if:

W had not ignored the whole CA/Enron relationship.
    Cheney's company is not the prmary rebuilder of Iraq.
    This administration's energyand apparently foreign policy was not written by OIL/Energy corporations...

But alas...

And I see your point about bumper sticker politics..
    "Don't blame me I voted for Bush"...
    The most popular of all time until the economy is great, people had jobs and we were not at war...

But W prays for peace...