This week against the Redhawks

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

I saw the Miami/Iowa game on Saturday and saw the constant passing attack (51 passes) from Miami.

The Redhawks run what pretty much is a run-and-shoot offense like the old Oilers and Falcons. They make their yardage and first downs with plenty of 5-10 yd passes in the flats.

I expect Saban and Muschamp to employ a Cover 2 with man-to-man underneath the majority of the time. For me, the key will be the LBs' ability to cover the tight ends and backs underneath.

Lionel Turner will probably have to cover a lot better than he did late in the Citadel game by stopping the crossing routes that kept drives alive.

As bad as the LSU offense has looked at times during the first two games, I still think that with decent execution they're a significantly better offensive team than Iowa showed in their game with Miami.

If LSU can hold off on penalties during punt returns and get off decent punts (hopefully not too many), their special teams should be a plus. Kickoff coverage and returns have been satisfactory so far.

My early feeling is to pick the Tigers by 13. I think this "we're happy with our intensity" thing is a facade and the coaching staff is really breaking balls this week. With good weather and a good crowd, the Tigers could show the right intensity and therefore improve a lot on Saturday.

2. CrimsonPirate

CrimsonPirate Founding Member

Good luck against the Redhawks. LSU needs to kick hiney just like Bama does against North Texas.

Miami (O.) haven't always been the Redhawks, right? What was it? Something of a Native American theme? Trying to be P.C., I guess. It's a wonder PETA doesn't protest, saying Miami is being offensive to animals.

Anyway, good luck again. Hope Mauck has a good game and y'all see a lot of Randall. Geaux, Tigers.

3. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Methinks they were the Redskins until a few years back

4. DC-Tiger

DC-Tiger Founding Member

This weeks game should be the first real test for our pass defense. Miami of Ohio sophomore quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a good passer and should really test our defensive backs.