This week i hate liveing in Louisiana... heres why...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BAMAFAN03, Nov 14, 2002.

1. BAMAFAN03

BAMAFAN03 Guest

I live in Shreveport, LA. and i am an albama fan, and every weekend i stay at home while my friends go out and watch the bama game. never do i hear anyone up in northern Louisiana say anything about LSU. untill this week. They start appearing out of no where, and they havent watched a game all year. Some dont even know what LSU stadium is nicknamed. And even more could not tell you the quarterback for LSU. Heres the thing that gets me. My father lives in Birmingham, AL. i visit him about once a month, and go see Bama play as much as possible. In Alabama the atmosphere is different, and its not just located at or around tuscaloosa, its the whole state. EVERYONE is either UA or AU fans, finding otherwise is RARE. i just dont see this in LSU. Up her there are hardly any true LSU fans, but i come on here, and i look at most of your locations, and most are from south louisiana, i find it shocking of how localized the LSU fan base is. untill of course they play some one good, or the team you/I root for. When Bama and Auburn play, the whole state is nuts, but there is no game like that for LSU. Im not bashing LSU fans but i sure hate living in Louisiana when every one jumps on the preverbial bandwagon. Thats just me

2. eric d

eric d Founding Member

If you hate it, you could always move. I doubt anyone would miss you. In fact some might help you move.

3. BAMAFAN03

BAMAFAN03 Guest

great post... lol

4. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

From the looks of your post, you were educated in "albama." You are certainly welcome to return.

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I am originally from Shreveport and I have found that Shreveport is more East Texas than anything. For the most part it is 'Louisiana' only because it is 10miles east of the border.

6. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

There's no debate

South Louisiana and North Louisiana (anywhere north of Alexandria) are like night and day. Hell they don't even use the same Central Bank that we do in South Louisiana. And Shreveport IS East Texas, for all practical purposes.

7. BAMAFAN03

BAMAFAN03 Guest

point being that the fans are much more localized than i think LSU fans think. Shreveport is one of the bigger cities in LA and the fact of the matter is, no one really gives a damn. LSU wins woo hoo, LSU loses... "who did they play?" i guess im just suprised of how little northern LA cares. Monroe is the same way. There is like a small bundle of fans, and outside that no one really cares. lol i like you diehard you are much more informative than say Sola, who exploits typos for his own personal pleasure. funny thing is that Louisiana ranks 49th in the education department. Sola, just so you know.... theres only 50 states. diehardLSUfan, i think you know what i mean though, since you lived here, its just no big thing. i guess more than anything it suprises me of how there are no LSU fans, untill they start doing something... maybe thats why i havent seen too many this season....

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I do not agree. Most of the people I knew from LSU were from North LA, and most of these were from Shreveport area. Most were crazy about LSU sports. I pass through Shrevport a lot and always see an LSU presence. I live in Dallas area now, and you do not see a ton of Texas or Oklahoma stuff, but the week of their game it is crazy here. Maybe the fans here in Dallas and in Shrevport have a life besides football which does not appear to be the case in Alabama.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Localized?

I see postings from LSU fans in Texas, Illinois, Carolinas, Delaware, Philadelphia, etc. Bandwagon jumpers are hardly unique to LSU.
    Shreveporters are pissed because they have to watch Auburn in their bowl game this year instead of their real Tigers.

10. joetiger

joetiger Founding Member

I'm originally from Shreveport, and around the time I graduated from high school in 1988, you could generally break graduates down into three groups regarding their choices for, and allegiances to, colleges:

--LSU--About half of my high school went to LSU; my father and brother both went there and while Shreveport is decidedly different from South Louisiana, there is a large contention of folks there who LOVE LSU and hold the Ole War Skule allegiance above all else (in sports at least.)

--Louisiana Tech. There are many people from Shreveport who have family histories there, and culturally Tech seems to be more in line with Shreveport.

--Millsaps, Rhodes, Centenary, SMU, TCU, Sewanee, Springhill, etc...(I'd even put Ole Piss in this category.) Well-off kids who wanted to buck the trend seemed to flock to these smaller schools.

Arkansas also had a large following there, based on proximity, I guess.

Having spent a good part of my life in both North and South Louisiana, I've heard more Shreveport-bashing than you could possibly imagine. Coming from an Alabama person, it comes off as a pretty weak effort--there is no way you could possibly bash Shreveport as well as your average South Louisiana or New Orleans person.

In any case, I live in Colorado (where it's snowing like all get-out right now!) and there are plenty of LSU fans here; just because we're far away from Baton Rouge (albeit a lot farther than Shreveport) doesn't mean we can't be Tiger fans--UNCONDITIONAL Tiger fans.

OK back to work. Happy Friday, GEAUX TIGERS!
    :eek: