This week's genre: Best war movies

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by red55, May 19, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That would be Henry Fonda, jetstorm. Yeah, Richard Burton and Peter Lawford were in it too.

Good War films that haven't been mentioned much are : Gallipoli, Twelve O'Clock High, Sergeant York, and Stalag 17

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

That's not entirely true. The Japanese did abhor trench warfare, but that doesn't mean they weren't above using it when it made sense, and it usually made sense when your forces were in a defensive posture. When the Japanese were on the offensive, they were a lot like the Germans. Think "blitzkreig" in the jungle. The Japanese exhibited a much better appreciation for Asian/Pacific terrain, cover, and weather conditions than the Americans or British, or even the Australians. In the island hopping campaign, they often used fortified positions, which did take the form of caves and tunnels, but also took the form of walled fortresses and trenches from time to time.

What made "Windtalkers" unrealistic was the location; you could tell the film was shot mostly in a desert location rather than a tropical island, like Saipan was. Parts of Saipan Island are unforested plain atop volcanic rock, but it's still green, covered with grasses. The rest is densely forested, and the Japanese, adept at jungle warfare, dug in there.

The dialogue and plot sagged as well. I just didn't like Windtalkers that much. It did give me some insight into the story of the Navajo Code though. That's a very interesting chapter in American history.

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I don't know how I could have left out "We Were Soldiers" and "Sgt. York". I didn't include "Schindlers List" because it technically is not a war movie but since BB brought it up, I guess you could include it. The same for "Stalag 17" and "The Great Escape". "Memphis Belle" was pretty good. Another one I left out is "Anzio" starring Robert Mitchum, Peter Falk, Earl Holliman and directed by Dino DeLaurentis. One of the classiics that is considered to be great which I don't particularly care for is "12 O'Clock High" with Gregory Peck.

V4H, Wal-Mart has BOB for about $65.00.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

1. Saving Private Ryan (Tom Hanks is simply a genius actor)
    2. Good Morning Vietnam (Robin Williams is simply a genius)
    3. Pearl Harbor
    4. The Patriot
    5. Glory
    6. Apocolypse Now
    7. Platoon

I have not seen Tora, Tora, Tora. From what you guys posted, it has made me add the movie to my Netflix list of Dvd rentals. I am almost positive after seeing this film that it will probably be within my top 3. I love movies that are very historical in nature, shedding new light on such an important world event.

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

The Guns of Navaronne is a great movie. I forgot about it.

I mentioned it on page one.

I also love the movie, The Bridge on the River Kwai.

I didn't see if anyone mentioned it, but Black Hawk Down was a great movie too.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I knew I had left a movie out. Yeah Black Hawk Down would be somewhere around 4 or 5 on my list.

7. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Two more B&W classics I remembered are "The Train" with Burt Lancaster as a French engineer trying to prevent a German officer from stealing a trainload of the priceless art of France as the Allies close in. Not a war movie per se but still qualifies.

Also, "Is Paris Burning?" is about the liberation of Paris. I guess you could call it a docu-drama.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Sergeant York would also have to be on my list.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I had forgotten "The Train". That was a great war film. The French government may have surrendered and collaborated with the Germans during the war, but the French Resistance did some serious guerilla fighting. I wonder if Blockbuster has it . . .

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I was terribly disappointed in this movie.... I saw it twice to be sure i wasn't missing something. I think it was good this story was told I just felt it was way overhyped and poorly written.... although I am no movie critic or aspire to know what makes a good movie. I just know what I like and don't like.

Anyone else like BHD? I want to know how far off I am on this one.