This will get your blood boiling.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, May 28, 2003.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

You usually make pretty good points, but this kind of baffles me. Are you saying that you cant underestimate a team that FINISHES a season in the top 5 and has a Heisman QB, even if its the first game of the season? In fact, it was the first game following a fairly dismal 6-6 2001 USC campaign. UGA, I can understand because they had been fairly dominating all year. But Florida? When Auburn faced Florida last year, Florida was 4-3 coming off a throttling in the Swamp by our Tigers, an ugly loss at Ole Miss, and a very, very near loss at home to Kentucky just after getting destroyed by Miami. Florida had looked downright bad up to that point. Yet they cant be underestimated because they played on New Years Day, almost 3 months later? In fact, beating AU was Florida's turning point.

So I guess there is no way in hell we could have possibly underestimated an AU team that had been destroyed by Arkansas two weeks prior, then losing to the afore mentioned UF team the very next week. How could we possibly underestimate a team that played so tough against a good PSU team and ESPN's darling Larry Johnson on New Years, again almost 3 months later?

Did you see the same game I saw? I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I think he was responsible for right at a billion turnovers. Now that I think about it, I think he was actually one short of a billion. Hell, he set the ball on the ground near our own 20, gift-wrapped and tied with a purdy blue and burnt orange bow. I think he was in the negatives for completions, too. Thats is, unless you count the completions to Auburn defenders becuase we was about 100% in that area.

Man, I hate to pick on you this much in one post, Chuck, because I really do respect you as a poster here. However, most everyone here fully agrees with that "coaching issue." Look, Mauck was a first year starter in only his 6th start, ever. It was the first and only game he ever really looked like a competent SEC QB. He was playing in a VERY hostile environment in the Swamp. He needed experience. I cared very little about the blowout, but Mauck needed to be in that game to develop as a QB. Also, alot of people seem to forget that when Mauck went out of the game, it was 26-7, not the final 36-7 score. Would you feel safe with a 19 point lead against Rex Grossman, Taylor Jacobs, and Earnest Graham? I wouldnt, and Saban didnt. I have seen Grossman lead teams score more than 19 points in 5 minutes, much less the 14 minutes left when Mauck got hurt. It wasnt like we were up by 40, had posession, and only had 2 minutes left to play. The game was still very loseable.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Thanks for bringing up the Florida game. I kept saying that last year after the injury. The fact that it was Florida at the Swamp with Grossman at QB makes the decision to keep Mauck in very understandable. With almost a full quarter of football left, the game was not nearly over. I think we all know how quickly Florida can score, how about the year before at Tiger Stadium for example.

Also, I know the QB doesn't play defense but Randall was more responsible than anyone for giving up 31 points. If Mauck had played and simply moved the team without turning the ball over, the game is much closer. I GUARANTEE that Auburn doesn't score 31 points if this happens.

3. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Dominick's the one who fumbled the ball on the 20.........on our first possession.

Everything else belongs to Randall.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, he did, but that wasnt the possession I was talking about. There was one play where Randall caught himself from falling with the hand he had the football in. He literraly put the ball on the ground, rather than dropping it like the other fumbles. We might have gotten that one back though, I cant remember.

5. chuck

chuck Founding Member

MobileBengal - you make valid points, maybe I presented myself incorrectly.

I don't think we underestimated USC - I'll use a different explanation though. They were favored by 7. I don't think you ever underestimate a team that is favored over you by a touchdown, at their own field.

Florida was having a down year, but I think it will be a long time before people don't look forward to a game vs. Florida as a big one.

BTW - I wasn't implying that LSU underestimated anyone . .just responding to another post.

6. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Chuck-My intention was not to say tubby would condone rape etc., but that he would over look thug players, and he encourages that type of player with his on disposition. Don't give me this sh$$ that any player from LSU was asking a damn aubby to back off, hold it down or anything of the sort. You damn right Randall accounts for 18 of those points with INt's. LSU will be ready to return the favor in 03. The media means squat..Saban controls LSU FB not the media. When the media is bumping their gums, Nick must be doing something right.

7. chuck

chuck Founding Member

ChuckE - the quote about backing off in the game was in papers from Baton Rogue to Georgia - I'm surprised you didn't see it.

Say what you want about CTT, but not ONE player he recruited has had any problem with the law whatsoever. Terry Bowden proved it was entirely possible for an Auburn football player to get arrested in Auburn, so don't claim cover-up.

You are questioning my statement that simply quoted national based media, while you are making blanket statements based on no facts or knowledge.

try again . .

I will look around for a few of the articles with the quotes about giving up. . .