Thomas Friedman NYT OP-ED

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Jan 17, 2010.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

correct. our only concern right now as far as domestic policy should be to reduce the size and scope of government.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

+1. The downside of this argument, however, is that if we conclude that conventional warfare won't beat this enemy, the alternative would seem to be to fight their type of war. In a country where we can't profile likely terrorists, how is that going to fly with the public?

That was my point about comparing it to the space race. We were barely ready to consistently put a man in orbit when Kennedy said "let's go to the moon." Had the technology moved then the way our energy technology is moving today, we still wouldn't be on the moon. IMO, its not that we can't do it, its that the motive has not been provided. We have electric cars, we have natural gas cars....heII, we have cars that can run on used french fry oil. What's missing is the national motivation to suck up the inevitable costs of a national conversion, not to mention the will to stand up to big oil...or is it the leadership to get big oil in on the plan somehow?

3. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

High profile terrorist or criminal acts? Since you obviously have the inside knowledge of these criminals and their intent, a job in the intelligence community is calling for you. All those nitwit intel weenies and ridiculous think-tanks have it all wrong. It's simply an economic war AQ is waging against the West. If only you could have enlightened us all sooner. And since you know by experience just exactly what a full-blown military operation consists of, please explain.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If you want to make a point on the topic, then make it. If you are just being as jerk, then you're talking to yourself. I ain't wasting my time on you.

5. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

I think my point has been made, but to clarify, I simply responded to your simplistic view of the threat AQ poses to the US. The war AQ is waging against the West is ideological, with economics a component of it. The fact you can't even call them what they are shows how little you actually know or care to know. You throw words like "international criminal" and "full-blown military operation" around, but have no clue what either one of those terms mean in the context of our current operations in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Here's the bottom line: stay in your lane. If you're going to get butt-hurt when someone calls you out, that's your problem. By all means, don't waste your time on me - you may come across sounding even more like a clown-shoe amateur.

1 person likes this.