Those who say the war on terror isn't working

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Mar 12, 2004.

1. phatcat

phatcat Founding Member

I say fire the coach...

LOL... Whoa, settle down, there peewee.

1) How could the first attack on the WTC have possibly been stopped? What warning was received before the attack that could have been acted upon?

2) The USS Cole did not happen within the borders of the US but occurred instead on foreign soil.

If you think that Bush bears no blame for the 9/11 attacks, then answer me this. Who gave the orders to the interceptor jets to stand down on 9/11?

Despite normal intercept times of between 10 and 20 minutes for errant domestic flights, the airliners commandeered on 9/11/01 roamed the skies for over an hour without interference.

Interceptors were only scrambled from distant bases after long delays.
    Despite the fact that Flights 11 and 175 were headed for New York City, no interceptors were scrambled from nearby Fort Dix or Laguardia, or from Langley, Virginia.

Once in the air, interceptors flew at only small fractions of their top speeds, assuring they would fail to intercept the airliners. The two F-15s scrambled from Otis AFB to chase Flight 11 flew at an average of 447 mph, about 23.8% their top speed of 1875 mph.

The two F-16s scrambled from Langley to protect the capital flew at an average of 410.5 mph, about 27.4% of their top speed of 1500 mph.

Nearby fighters on routine patrol duty were not redeployed to intercept the airliners, nor were fighters that belatedly reached Manhattan sent to defend the capital. Two F-15s flying off the coast of Long Island were not redeployed to Manhattan until after the second tower was hit.

The two F-15s scrambled from Otis AFB to protect Manhattan could have reached the capital in 9.6 minutes once they arrived over New York City. That was still 34 minutes before the Pentagon was hit.

Does that sound like the old coach had his head in the game or up his ass?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Hey Phatcat,
    i will try an answer your questions but I'm still waiting for you to answer my response
    to you.

The first question to be honest I don't know what the government knew but I think we
    should've been more aware and more alert after 93 especially since the world trade center was attacked already.

As far as blaming Bush, I don't know about that because the CIA and FBI had pieces of information that weren't put together from what I heard on the news.

I know 1 thing, the president, whatever party he belongs to has a tough decision to make about shooting down civilian airlines, thats not a good thing or easy decision for anyone to make.
    I don't think you would be saying this if you were responsible for killing people or shooting down an airliner..

BTW who cares about intercept times, your just itching to get Bush for something because you hate his guts don't you?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lets look at your earlier quote....
    Originally Posted by phatcat
    Yeah, and how many terrorist attacks occurred here before that?
    By your logic, Bush and company screwed up our perfect home record.
    I guess you're right, it's time to fire the coach...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did you forget that the first attack happened on the world trade center?
    I actually did and it sounds like from your first quote that you forgot about that and
    thats why you claim what you do in the first 2 sentences of your quote.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) The USS Cole did not happen within the borders of the US but occurred instead on foreign soil
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also see its all right for Americans to be killed in terrorist attacks overseas from your
    post above.
    Your one of those people that nothing matters to you because you are a leftist on the
    leftcoast and if it doesn't effect your world it doesn't matter.
    I also see you have a sour attitude with your quote above about firing the coach.

At any rate Americans like you scare the hell out of me because you don't care about anybody else's life, you only care about yourself and your family.
    You are a truely, low life, pathetic American.(if your American)

How many people have to die by your first analogy?

You need to truely explain yourself and your posts because you actually look like an enemy of mankind :D

3. Eauxkie Tiger

Eauxkie Tiger Founding Member

Let's see ... Iraq is free and has a constitution in place for the 1 time ever... Quagmire?? It's a good thing you guys weren't around during WW2 or we'd be speaking German & Japanese... Clinton signed and exec order to assassinate OBL? Whoopee...He had him offered up to him twice and didn't take him.

4. phatcat

phatcat Founding Member

Terrorist attacks resulting in American deaths are occuring every day in Iraq, genius. Just because the dead are soldiers, does that make them not count? al Qaeda just killed 200 people in Spain because Spain supported Bush's invasion of Iraq.

You bet your ass I would rather have everything like it was before Sept 11.

Ashcroft is wielding the Patriot Act against native born Americans while using the Bill of Rights to wipe his a** with.

There has been a war on terror ongoing for several years now; what is going on in Iraq has nothing to do with a war on terror. Wake up and smell the coffee, sour'doh.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Originally Posted by Sourdoughman
    By your logic, how many more terrorist attacks do you want and how many people have to die?

I'm sure you would rather have everything like it was before Sept 11.

no airport security and no war on terror
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I meant by that is people like you would do away with airport security and the war on terror since I know your against it anyway.
    It doesn't matter to you what happened in New York or anywhere else obviously.

I'm not fond of the Patriot Act ether and I don't agree with everything Bush has done
    but this is the best we have to work with for now IMO

What's going on in Iraq has everything to do with the war on terror my friend and if
    you don't believe that you haven't been watching the news lately when they now know that Al Quaida was in Iraq about a year before the war if I remember right.
    They were in the terrorist camp in the northern part of Iraq.
    There is a thread with a link around here to prove this.

American soldiers do count,I never said they didn't, your the one insensitive to others
    from your earlier posts.

Al Qaida just killed 200 people in Spain because thats the best they could do, we have
    put them on the run and degraded thier ability to attack us for now

You need to go do some research my friend.......

6. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

That's a lie. A private citizen said he knew where OBL was, but US ploicy says we don't deal with backchannel bribes like that.

No government ever offered to hand over Osama.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What the hell difference does it make who hands him over? I don't care if its his own mother who sells him to us.

8. phatcat

phatcat Founding Member

<What's going on in Iraq has everything to do with the war on terror my friend and if
    you don't believe that you haven't been watching the news lately when they now know that Al Quaida was in Iraq about a year before the war if I remember right.
    They were in the terrorist camp in the northern part of Iraq.
    There is a thread with a link around here to prove this.>

To begin with, sour d'oh, if I remember correctly you were the one who posted that assinine post "proving" that al qaeda was in northern Iraq before the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Now, think back to what was going on in the news during the year before the U.S invasion of Iraq. Does the U.S. bombing and invasion of Afghanistan come to mind? Good, I thought it might.

Now according to your very own news flash, Abu Musab al Zarqawi, a Jordanian member of al Qaeda was wounded by that little set to in Afghanistan and having been run out of that country, he traveled to Syria then to northern Iraq to have his wounded leg amputated. The key to that statement is "northern Iraq."

Since 1991 northern Iraq has been outside the control of Saddam and under the control of The U.S. Air Force and the Kurds. Due to the no fly zone and the kurdish military Saddam has not had any troops nor any control for several years over the area of Iraq in which the terrorist camp was located.

How the terrorist camp in northern Iraq was the responsibility of Saddam is something that you have to explain to me though. Bush would have been more accurate if he had said the U.S. Air Force was harboring terrorists, don't you think?

<What I meant by that is people like you would do away with airport security and the war on terror since I know your against it anyway.
    It doesn't matter to you what happened in New York or anywhere else obviously.>

WTF are you talking about here, sour d'oh? My primary reason for lambasting Dubyaq on this board all along has been because of the fact that Bush has not been waging a war on terrorism. If Usama bin Laden was in fact the mastermind of the attack on the WTC on 9/11/01, why are only 11,000 U.S. troops actively trying to catch him, while 140,000 troops presently occupying Iraq? The over $100,000,000,000 that we have spent to date in Iraq would have paid for a pretty nifty ole anti terrorist security system here at home, don'tchya think? Hell, it would have gone a long way towards actually capturing bin Laden too, and since you are such a news hound, you are well aware that he is still at large while actively planning, and as in the case of the attack in Spain, carrying out terrorist attacks.

<I'm not fond of the Patriot Act ether and I don't agree with everything Bush has done
    but this is the best we have to work with for now IMO>

The good news as you so cleverly point out is that while the Bush anti terrorist plan may be "the best we have to work with for now," in november we have the opportunity to take control away from the nitwits who came up with this "anti terrorism plan" and begin allocating our manpower and weapons against the terrorists themselves while not continuing to waste them on jingoistic empire building exercises like the one in which we are currently involved in Iraq.

< American soldiers do count,I never said they didn't, your the one insensitive to others
    from your earlier posts.>

If I, in any of my earlier posts, have in any way offended you with my insensitivity then please allow me to apologize right now. Perhaps I do have a tendency to have a rather low ignorance threshold when it comes to those who insist on living their lives like lemmings except with the added mental disadvantage of having their heads buried so far up their asses that upon removal they are undoubtedly blinded by the daylight.

<Al Qaida just killed 200 people in Spain because thats the best they could do, we have
    put them on the run and degraded thier ability to attack us for now

You need to go do some research my friend.......>

Funny you should say that, my friend, because my research shows that al Qaeda has very recently announced plans for a direct attack on targets within the U.S.and CIA Dir George J Tenet says Al Qaeda retains the ability to carry out those attacks. That 100 billion that we have spent in Iraq sure would come in handy for actually foiling terrorist attacks right about now.

Please tell me again how has invading Iraq helped us in the fight against actual terrorism?

I suggest You do Your homework this time before popping off with some ill thought out "we're too busy acting as the Dubya glee club to have time to think for ourselves" answer.

9. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

well then maybe you should redefine our official foreign policy.

10. Eauxkie Tiger

Eauxkie Tiger Founding Member

http://www.tupbiosystems.com/articles/sudan_bin_laden.html
    Umm... Sudanese intel not exactly private citizens....