Thoughts from a Smoke Loving Observer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Jun 20, 2004.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The point about our pitching rotation "not being what it used to be" is right on. That's exactly what I was thinking during the game and after it last night.

Skip, of course, was a master pitching coach in his own right, but we didn't see the pitching breakdowns like this under Skip in the CWS.

And I'm not knocking Determan, but Bumstead has had two of the ugliest LSU pitching outings in a row.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I do think that bad baseball fortune had its role but as bad as Bumstead has been lately I wouldn't have started him in the CWS under these circumstances.
    I am not bashing Smoke, I've stuck up for him and I know about the article where Skip started Chad and not his aces.

However, Bumsteads confidence had to be somewhat shaken already after his outing against Texas A&M.
    I know what Smoke was trying to do but it backfired on us.
    I just can't blame the game on bad fortune, if Determan started this game for instance and gave up 4 runs for the game, if a reliever came in and slamed the door Miami wouldn't have led in the whole game and they would've lost.

I would rather argue the lack of good pitching in this case, we lost the game in the first 2 innings, gave up 5 runs versus 4 for the final 7 innings.

We spotted them 5 just like we did to A&M and this time we couldn't overcome it.
    Determan made some mistakes like any other pitcher does at any level from time to time and it cost us 4 runs from what I remember.
    If we give no runs in the first 2 innings we win or 1 run we are tied.

Your not going to win many games when you have one of the nations best pitchers going up against you when you throw just a pitcher out there.

Pitching matchups are important.

Just my 2 cents

3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

As crazy as this sounds and I know hindsight is 20/20, I would have considered either starting Detterman or Clay Dirks against Miami after it was announced that Metespay could not go. I know Dirks sounds crazy, but it is very Bertman-like plus he is a lefty and he can bring it.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah yeah sourdough. And if Smoke starts Meier and he gets bombed you'd be b*tching about that. In case you didn't hear, Mestepay was hurt. Bumstead was the obvious choice. The last time he got bombed (against Auburn) he came back strong for 3 or 4 games in a row. There have been some excellent examples of valid criticisms on the forum today, but 20/20 hindsight arguments do not qualify as valid.

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

This is/was a good post. some very valid points here.

If we could all see in the future like we could the past.

Bumstead has faltered here lately, and no doubt he should sit a few out simply because he isn't "on" BUT Saban fan is right he has done well in the past. I think it speaks more for SMOKE's ability as a PERSON and Coach to not give up on this young man totally. He gave him a chance, and well he blew it.
    I am sure NATE knows this all too well and no one is beating up on him worse than himself. He is still a Tiger. Some guys never getthe chance to EVEN play in the CWS. let us be glad for the good things he did earlier in the year, they helped us get to the CWS and we AINT OUT YET.

BEWARE GAME CHICKENS YOU GOT A TIGER ON YOUR TAIL! :tigbas: :eek:ldskule: :tigbas: :eek:ldskule: :tigbas: :eek:ldskule: :tigbas: :eek:ldskule: :tigbas: :eek:ldskule: :tigbas: :eek:ldskule:

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Agree on all points TE.... matter of fact same thought went through my had with each at bat you mention. Nate actually got ahead of most hitters then was so far off the plate or in the dirt evened the count then would hang one. Brantley, who is usually clueless, was a lot more on with his analysis. It was obvious to me that Stavinoha was lost after his 1st AB, exactly as you described and I had said if he fouls one off in his 3rd AB its a moral victory. No way he shoulda been left up there since there was no way he was getting a hit.

Patterson has been a very good hitter most of his career but lately the fastball at his letters is his weakness. He cant get his hands through the zone near quick enough to hit it. And how does he get turned around on a flyball 2 or 3 times. The wind wasnt nearly as bad as usual in Omaha but he did a 720 in 180 intervals going back and forth. He never saw the damn ball and seemed lost all day.

The ump was well....terrible. Ive seen corners being called by umps but when only outside corners to RHB is called strikes which are below the knees and as long as not in the dirt.... yet for LHB it wasn't even close. The right side of the plate had a corner while the left side was round.

Not to mention pitches down the heart were called balls. The pitch poor Liuzza was called out on he couldnt have hit with a flagpole. All in all when you have that much inconsistency behind the plate on such a big stage...thats a slap in the face to both teams and should be corrected. Baseball fortune wasnt there....yet giving the 2 starting pitchers with this ump, having control and locating was essential. Nate will never be a control pitcher...his inconsistency is part of his strengths keeping hitters offbalance. Determan proved this....he was maddux-like in control. it was a great thing to witness....he was the best pitcher of both teams yesterday and deserved a better fate. Props to Miami...they got the win.

7. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

I just love how everyone's bashing Bumstead here. This is the same guy who threw a complete game 6-2 victory against a hot hitting USM team in the start prior to the A&M one. It's just amazing how short your memories are.

We wouldn't be in Omaha today if not for Nate Bumstead. He's an LSU Tiger, and I for one am damn proud of him. So get off your high horse and support the young man. I guarantee you there's nobody that feels worse about his performance Saturday than Nate himself.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Absolutely right.

You are absolutely right. I'm sure that Nate feels terrible about his outing against Miami, but he needs to focus on all of the great things he's done for LSU baseball.

Still, people on this message board have a right to be critics. That's what message boards are for.

9. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Sounds a little like another former Tiger right-hander...Ben McDonald.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Whatever, I just find it funny that everyone wants to blame the loss on bad fortune.
    Call me what you will, I don't care.

We lost that game because of bad pitching nothing else.
    Miami's starter is undefeated for a reason, we need to take off our purple colored glasses and realize that we were lucky to get 5 runs against him.

Even in the big leagues, once a really good pitcher settles in you aren't going
    to get many more if any runs on him for the rest of the game.

That is the point I was trying to make!