Thoughts on Dale Brown ..........

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Feb 28, 2004.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

After hearing about Dale's continuing to insist that nothing unethical happened in the Lester Earl recruiting, I've come to the conclusion that we should treat Dale like Baseball treats Pete Rose - MAKE HIM CONFESS before we "honor" him or even welcome him back.

The doctor who paid Lester the $6,500 and performed rules-breaking surgery on Lester and his family members has already CONFESSED.

Dale and company CHEATED.

And, unfortunately, that was AND IS the state of college sports.

Dale played the "recruiting game" for YEARS. During my time at LSU, I was friends with a basketball manager. The stories he told me were INCREDIBLE. I will not repeat the things he told me, but I will repeat the other stories that ran rampant on campus.

The first big-time recruit LSU got in my time there was Fess Irvin. Irvin's mother was a school teacher. Irvin's mother could barely afford a modest car for herself. BUT, when Fess showed up on campus he was driving a 300ZX (THE sports car at the time) with a license plate that read "FESS 4".

Then, John Williams came aboard. The UCLA coach was SO PISSED about LSU "stealing" Williams (a L.A. native who attended Crenshaw H.S.) that he made all kinds of threats. His "problem" with LSU signing Williams was that UCLA had been paying Williams since he was in eighth grade and LSU came in at the end and gave him a HUGE cash payment to come to LSU. As the story goes, in a publicity stunt, Dale Brown took out a brief case full of cash and said, "John, that's what UCLA offered you." Dale then took a $1 bill out of his wallet, threw it on top of the briefcase full of cash, and said, "THAT'S WHAT LSU WILL GIVE YOU!"

I'm not sure about that story, but it is a FACT that LSU had to move John's mom to Baton Rouge from California and get her a state job because she was bragging so much in L.A. about all the money that LSU was giving herf and John.

Then, there was Shaq. Shaq's dad was an Army sergeant when Shaq was in school here. Yet, it was no secret that Shaq drove around campus in a red BMW convertible. An Army sergeant just doesn't make enough money to afford a BMW convertible for his kid.

NOW, I'm NOT criticizing Dale for these "indiscretions". That WAS and STILL IS the way the recruiting game is played. AND, it is played by EVERYONE. The Michigan case in the 1990's and the Tulane case in the '80's shows that NO INSTITUTION is immune from such problems. Even the IVY League schools make "accomodations" for their athletes, such as "better access" to grants and aid (despite the fact that they aren't suppose to give athletic scholarships).

And, a recent story out of Durham proves that even the "lily white" programs get involved. Chris Duhon's mom was given a HIGH PAYING job in Durham (remember, she lived in Slidell prior to Chris's signing with Duke). There was NO DOUBT that his mom was IN NO WAY qualified for the job OR the salary. Further, as it turns out, that same employer (the owner of which is big time Duke grad and supporter) has hired MANY other parents of big time Duke basketball recruits.

Of course, the NCAA would NEVER even begin to investigate Duke or impose any sort of sanctions. All you have to do is look at the slap on the wrist that Michigan got for doing FAR WORSE than LSU ever did.

Dale's problem is that HE (and his staff) GOT CAUGHT. Now, he's going around claiming neither he nor LSU did anything wrong.

There's no doubt that part of the reason the NCAA came down so hard on LSU (comparatively, comparing our "indiscretions" with those of Michigan, etc.) was due to Dale's constantly opening his BIG mouth all of those years. So, NOW, as far as I'm concerned, until Dale comes clean, admits that "$hit happened", and apologizes for hurting the LSU basketball program for YEARS due to the probation we received as a result of HIS actions, I don't think we should have ANYTHING to do with him.

"HONORING" him is OUT OF THE QUESTION until he apologizes and admits he did wrong.

2. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

This is certainly beating a dead horse. Brown is going to be honored. IT sucks, but that is the way it is.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So your stance is the only reason Dale Brown shouldn't be given some kind of tribute is that he got caught doing something every other big time coach does and most don't get caught at. If thats the way things ared done in college basketball Dale was just doing his job and doing it well. Brown is a thousand times a better person than Bobby Knight but if Knight never gets caught by the NCAA breaking a rule its OK with you that he can continue being an asshole and then be honored when he retires.

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Re: Re: Thoughts on Dale Brown ..........

It's more that he keeps INSULTING our (or should I say, "my") intelligence by insisting he did nothing wrong. And, his continued tirade against the NCAA can do nothing but HURT LSU. Our "honoring" him will just make it look like we haven't learned our lesson.

I don't want to be like Alabama and its fans who STILL refuse to believe that Alabama did anything wrong. It's EVERYONE'S fault BUT Alabama's.

Let's ADMIT what we did wrong (and, YES, got caught at) and MOVE ON.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

plus, saying knight is less than brown i dunno. i prefer someone to be who they are and not tell you what you want to hear. I don't like being patronized on any level.

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

When will Pete Rose get into the Hall? He never admitted to betting on baseball...Then comes out when he thinks it will get him into Cooperstown...

Why are we cutting Brown slack now? I mean...He's a great guy, and an absolute LSU legend...But, he not only cheated (which I understand many did and continue to do), he OPENLY challenged the NCAA at every step and turn, throwing it into their faces...

Dale Brown's unbridled hubris cost LSU dearly...

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Give Dale credit for having the BALLS to not cower before the mighty, mighty NCAA Gestapo.

8. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

3 final fours and won more games than any other LSU coach and 2 in the SEC. I think the guys should be honored.

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

John Wooden,"the greatest college BB Coach of all time, has more skeletons in his closet than Dale. There was a Dr. Shepherd that was not only buying players for UCLA but performed at least one abortion on Lucious Allen's Squeeze.
    Dale made his mistakes but he gave us a few thrills also.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Dale Brown gave LSU more good years than bad.

LSU made the NCAA tournament like 13 or 15 years in a row or
    something like that, only Duke, Kentucky and a few other schools
    accomplished that at the time.

And then the final fours...etc.

Dale Brown was a fighter who didn't back down to the NCAA and
    I was a fan of his for that alone.

Dale Brown didn't hurt LSU too bad if we made the sweet sixteen
    while on probation.

Sure it hurt for a couple years but get over it, he gave us a good 25 years compared to what?

5 or 6 years on probation, that aint sh*t when you look at a 25 year period of time.

I HATE the NCAA and how they discipline the schools for the same
    offenses, giving favorites less sentences for the same.

FUCK EM, I would love to challenge the NCAA and I emailed a member and tried to communicate with them myself when Brady
    went to appeal the sanctions.

Who around here did that besides me?

I got a reply but it was just bs.

If I could influence the schools they would start a new organization or get rid of the assholes at the top of that organization.

I know some of the school officials are part of the organization but
    thiers some assholes at the very top of the NCAA