Thoughts on Evacuees

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tigerintn, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Shoot 'em, chop of their hands, beat 'em with sticks?

Seriously... pretty despicable; throw 'em in the clink.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't think any of us on this board have any sympathy for "evacuees" that steal. There have been several highly-publicized stories in Dallas about evacuees that were being bums.

It gives Louisiana a "somewhat" black eye because the media shows the people who steal or want a handout. I wish they would show the proud people of the state who take care of themselves and fix what's "broken" in their lives.

Unfortunately, that's not interesting enough and wouldn't feed the typical Louisiana stereotypes (which aren't necessarily stereotypes because there are plenty of bums out there); however, our state is also filled with kind and generous, hard-working people.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Lockem up, charge them with whatever can stick. Simple as that.
    If you have time to steal during a natural disaster, then you have time to spend in jail.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I might be a little sympathtic if they were lifting Levis or Wranglers.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Dats my wardrobe yer teasin!

7. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

People around here are always asking me if this is typical of folks from Louisiana. I try my best to make the argument that New Orleans is not a good representative example of the rest of the state, kind of like saying all of Illinois is like Chicago. These folks from this story just make it harder and harder.

Couldn't agree more that the media plays into this. I saw all the coverage of Gustav virtually stop on Monday night, and assumed that all my BR friends were fine. Just found out yesterday that they may not have power for weeks, the national media doesn't want to cover this.

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Are we still able to use the term "black" eye? I thought the sensitivity police outlawed all bad things that could, in any way, be associated with blackness.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

How right you are. As soon as they realized New Orleans was safe, and they wouldn't get to rehash Katrina any more, they were gone. Nevermind that a major city just 90 miles to the north took the worst natural beating of its history.; that story wasn't on their agenda.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this is where i take issue. every city in the state has lying stealing douche bags. its just that the ones from nola got the national spotlight.

i have a home in new orleans and a lot of friends in new orleans. they are all decent hard working people and i would be happy for them to be the face of louisiana any time, any where.

if br had the same sort of mandatory evac as nola, their riff-raff would have been pulling the same crap, and given br and louisiana a bad name.

i get tired of people from louisiana thinking that bums and thieves is all nola has to offer.