Thoughts on UT lawsuit?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by uscvball, Feb 12, 2016.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"A new lawsuit alleges Tennessee football players threatened a teammate after he allegedly assisted a woman who accused linebacker A.J. Johnson and defensive back Michael Williams of rape in November 2014.

Johnson and Williams, who are facing criminal trial in Knoxville, have pleaded not guilty to aggravated rape charges. They claim their encounter with the unnamed accuser, at a Knoxville apartment, was consensual.

The new civil suit, filed in Nashville federal court, is filed on behalf of six unnamed female students at the University of Tennessee, five of whom claim to have been sexually assaulted while attending the school.

The suit claims UT wide receiver Drae Bowles faced retaliation from teammates after driving an alleged rape victim to the hospital and supporting her decision to report the incident. According to the complaint, two players were seen “jumping” Bowles in a cafeteria as athletic coaches were present two days after the incident....."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ndal-takes-turn-latest-suit-article-1.2527669

Why isn't this a bigger story? Is it because UT sucks?

2. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Maybe cause a rape "accusation" does not equal a rape "conviction?" I imagine if they're convicted it will make headlines. People are presumed innocent, not guilty. There's good reason for this since there are many false accusations made; moreso than ANY other crimes. There are many reasons so many false rape accusations occur.

http://boysmeneducation.com/avfms-mega-post-10-reasons-false-rape-accusations-are-common/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/05/02/false-rape-accusations-may-be-more-common-than-thought/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

might be because UT is projected to win the east. actually i think if they hadnt sucked for so long itd be bigger news. then again, i barely saw a headline on FSU paying off jameis' rape victim for almost a mill. i think rape is just accepted as part of athletic programs now. females know athletes are second only to frat guys regarding rape.

youre going to be raped at some point. the onus is on you.

4. Bayou Tiger

I wouldn't say it's accepted but I'm sure it's very common on college campuses.

As a father with two daughters, I don't buy that they should assume they'll be raped. For someone as intelligent as you, such an ignorant statement surprises me.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

jesus dude, it was a joke. with a little truth mixed in. im pretty sure everyone knows expecting to be raped is hyperbole.

6. Bayou Tiger

okay okay, sorry. I doubt most people know what a hyperbole is though.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Fuck em. It's Tennessee.

Rape in college? Really?? Stop it.

If I had 2 daughters nearing high school/ college age, fear of them getting raped would be the last consideration I would have to make. Teach them little girls to defend themselves, with confidence and let them equal the aggression. Might wanna add drink nothing from nothing that got set down and left unattended, even for 3 seconds.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

To start, there are statistics that would disagree with you and that show both child abuse and domestic spousal abuse to have higher rates of false accusation. And still, false accusation does not strictly mean "did not happen". For example, a claim of rape that might have been some type of sexual abuse but not rape per se, would fall in to the false category.

Next up, this particular case is not a one off he said/she said. This is a lawsuit filed on behalf of 6 females. The suit is against UT and claims the school violated Title IX and other federal laws by creating a “hostile sexual environment” and showing indifference before and after five of the students alleged they were raped — in four cases by athletes. Not all the women pursued criminal charges and in fact, they relied on UT to properly investigate and follow through. That's the problem.....they seem to have covered it all up and the athletes got away with all of it.

"According to the lawsuit, one of the women is the only one of the five plaintiffs who is not accusing an athlete of sexual assault. The accused in her case are an unidentified male UT student and two Tennessee State University students.

The hearing is the third time the woman's case has been reset by UT since the October 2014 incident"
    It's a school, not a court. What good reason could exist for a hearing to be delayed 3 times other than to encourage her to drop her case? All of these women did what they were supposed to to avoid being accused of a false accusation. And yet, that's your first comment?

I have one and it's hardly the last consideration. A petite female has no ability to defend against a football player. Men are bigger, stronger, and the more aggressive gender. It should not be incumbent on a woman to have to defend herself against law breakers. Smart? Sure. But HER responsibility? No. And yes, college-aged women need to have a designated sober partner or person in the group who watches everything and makes sure nobody goes off with a male.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. Bayou Tiger

You want a stat, here's one. How about a former NFL player coaching in a middle school who was "accused" and lost his job. The bitch recanted but it was too late.

Here's another one, a girl comes on to this guy and is all over him. She fucks the dog shit out of him then realizes the next day maybe she shouldn't have done that in the truck where others could see and claims rape. Poor stupid, there were people watching dummy, remember? Well I SURE DO. lol

And I'm sure you know about "short dick white boys" whose accuser initially said she was raped by 20 white men, then later changed it to 3. In the end the only DNA found in her pus was that of her boyfriends.

We live in a world in which a female principal can walk into a boys' restroom and yell for them to hurry up but let a male principal walk into a girls' restroom and do that- see what happens.

I understand you see the issue through the eyes of a female. I'm also trying to make you understand there's a completely other side. You're usually very perceptive of "other angles" but you're missing it here.

But most people believe ANY accusation means IT DID.