Three domestic vacation options

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Dec 15, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've traveled less than most my age (37). About 10 times internationally and another 10 domestic far enough to require plane. At least half of each were work related with limited free time.

I've never been to NYC, anywhere in Cali, or been on a cruise.

My 15 yr anniversary will be this summer. Which of these three options would be the best for summer time without kids?

Leaning towards California if we have enough time to make it at least a 7-10 day trip.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Vegas

shane0911 likes this.
  3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Cruise option likely out of Galveston.

Vegas could be part of Cali trip, which is part of reason that option was in lead.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Which part of summer? June through just around labor day, from San Diego up to the bay area near the coast, has the best summer weather. little to zero rain, temps mid 70's. Limited need for hauling laundry...

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Vegas could be nice, since they want people flying in. Then take a trip to Cali.
    The cruise out of Galveston, not bad, but from what I hear, some friends just took the Princess cruise out of the Port of Houston. Its 7 days, can't remember if its 3 or 4 stops. One of the stops is the Island of Roatan, I have some friends on the Island, if you go, let me know. One of my good friends is a local tour guide.

My friend.....
    http://islandertours.com/

I've been to Roatan 3 times, nice Island, about 20 miles long and 5 wide. But the best time to go is during the winter, temps today, high 79 low 70.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

New York City is overrated in my opinion unless you are big into Broadway. It is nice around Christmas with the lights up, but the street performers are getting bad again about hounding you and it is generally dirty. If you did go to New York this summer, I would suggest just a couple of days in the city and then rent a car and head out west. Upstate New York has some amazing state parks including Adirondack State Park. There are some great waterfalls near Ithaca and elsewhere. You could then head over to Niagara Falls. Since you most likely have a valid passport the falls are better from the Canadian side. I vote Roatan since there is snow on the ground here now!

LSUDad likes this.
  7. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

@Tiger Exile I know lots of people with that same attitude about NYC but I really enjoy taking vacations there. I've only done the "touristy" things once -- when we brought my step daughter for her first time -- and have never seen a Broadway show because I don't like that particular art form. I do, however, love theater and have seen several shows both traditionally off-Broadway and at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

I also stay in Brooklyn whenever I go. I stay there for a few reasons: 1) it's cheaper; 2) a subway pass is about $21 a person and gets you to mid-town Manhattan in under 30 minutes; 3) the hotel I stay at is right on Brooklyn's restaurant row and I've literally stumbled into a meal at a multiple Michelin starred restaurant; 4) the hotel is also right across the street from the House of Detention and close to the courts so if I'm there during the week I'll go to one or the other, show my bar card and ask for a tour, then have justification to write off some of the trip (don't judge me).

When we're in Manhattan, we'll go to the museums (and the Guggenheim was great but fuck those six stories of ramp; that's a knee killer) but we'll also explore SoHo and Greenwich Village (I get most of my dress shirts made by a tailor there since I'm such a weird size), walk through Central Park or go to the Chelsea market.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you stay in Times Square, take the bus tours and don't venture much out of mid-town, you'll have a sort of generic experience (not saying that's what you've done) but I've found NYC to be much more than that.

Just my $.02

KyleK and LSUDad like this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Another trip I like is Seattle, nice place to visit and things to do. You can take a Seaplane to Victoria Canada, spend the day there. The Gardens, China Town, Pubs, etc. gives you more than enough things to do for a day. Summer time would be great. When LSU played UDub, we spent about a week there.
    <---- My pic is of the bus I had for the game. Taken from the stadium.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

New York is a fine place to visit if you don't mind spending some money. Not huge amounts, but don't try to do NYC cheap. Lots to do, lots to see, lots of surprises. It's better than you imagine, including the people. And it doesn't matter if you have been to Paris and London or how sophisticated you think you are . . . when you first walk the streets of Manhattan, you will feel like a rube.

California is great if you like the great outdoors--the mountains, the coast, and the deserts. Vegas and San Francisco are fun towns. Do Yosemite in the off season for sure, its far too overrun with people in the summertime. See the big trees, drive the Pacific Coast Highway, see the big volcanoes, avoid LA and Bakersfield unless you have a really good reason to go there.

I don't like cruises. To me its like spending a week in a crowded hotel filled with aging tourists. Not my bag. Give me a ticket to Innsbruck or a good road trip in the Rocky Mountains any day.

wjray likes this.
  10. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I guess it came off wrong, but I don't think I could spend 7 days in New York City. Then again, I don't think I could spend 7 days in any city on vacation. I like to explore by car and find small towns off of the beaten path, especially in Europe. For a neat city to do a walk about, Boston is right up there. The USS Constitution is a must see although it is in maintenance phase right now. The Freedom Trail is great and the seafood is outstanding.