Tiger Fans Do Nothing to Shake Their Image

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

First let me throw this disclaimer on the post. I'm not talking about all fellow Tiger Fans. I'm talking about a small percentage of fans that will be vividly remembered and are the focus of people's opinions regarding LSU.

This is a call to Tiger Fans everywhere in every city at every game. If you see someone that is poorly representing this University and this Team I encourage you not to be silent. It is up to all of us to change the image of this team and the opinions of people that think we are nothing but an unruly bunch of drunks who constantly stir controversy and trouble.

Now let me fill you in on the reasons for my statements.

I sat in the corner of the end zone yesterday just above and to the side of the Tiger's Tunnel. I watched a few of our Fans conduct themselves in ways that were nothing short of shameful and adolescent. Sitting just below and to the left of me were two students that were trying their best to see how bad they could make themselves appear. They started the game with a barrage of "F" bombs and ugly language. There were several AU fans around us including children and people were getting a little more than annoyed. I felt my blood boiling and told my brother in law that I was going to say something. Then things got worse.

As if the section on the other side of the tunnel was trying to top our section, some king sized IDIOT throws a drink at Auburn's Eagle as the trainer is walking by. The Eagle tries to fly off the trainers arm to get away and has to be quickly settled down. The fan tried to hide from the authorities and thankfully fellow LSU Fans pointed him out. I could have sworn I saw an LSU Fan grab the kid by the collar and help the authorities remove him from the game. If I had been next to the kid I would have really had to keep from whipping his butt. I appreciate that fellow LSU fans did the right thing and helped remove this guy from the stands.

So back to my section of the stadium. My LSU fan starts cheering the splashing of the Eagle and starts with another round of obscenities as well as displaying his middle finger to the crowd. That was my tipping point. I went up to the young man and very firmly told him to mind his manners. I reminded him that he was wearing the colors of a team that many are very proud of and he should keep in mind he represented this University. I told him that if he couldn't behave any better he should stay at home or find a different team to support. I then turned to the other fans around me and apologized for the disgusting displays of a few of our fans and asked that they please not judge all of us on the behavior of a few children. Several AU Fans thanked me and one older gentlemen made the observation that I probably saved the kid from a serious whipping. The young man never got out of hand again.

The bottom line is this. There is absolutely, positively, no call for behavior like this at any time. I don't care what situation you are in. These few fans that create the popular image for LSU need to learn to behave with class. You conduct yourselves as representatives of the University period. If you can't then you need to not attend these events. Whether or not you attended LSU doesn't matter. If you wear the colors and attend these events, people associate you with the school and tie the rest of us in with you. We will never gain true respect until we learn to behave with class and dignity.

For the rest of us, it is our responsibility to refuse to sit silently and allow these behaviors to continue. I call upon everyone, everywhere to work to change this image of LSU Fans. This is no small task and it will take time but it has to start somewhere. There will be some that say I can't control the actions of others and I agree. You can, however help make a difference. I may not be able to affect the opinions of 87,000 people in those stands but hopefully I succeeded with the people around me. Maybe they will go back and say, they're not all bad. Maybe then they will see that it is a small faction. We all have them and we all acknowledge them. That's not good enough. Now it's time to make a change.

A true Champion is someone who overcomes all challenges and all obstacles and does so in a way that wins the respect of others.

All of us should strive to be this way.

:lsup:

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

My hat's off to you!

Great post, and a great way to represent LSU!

All fans, please conduct yourself with class. Profanities should not be shouted in public venues.

3. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

I suddenly find myself knee-deep in self-righteousness.

Please Mr Policeman, tell us more. Surely you set some young ruffians straight on the way home as well. Tell us about the time that a group of rascals got a stern talking to by you after some ill-advised shenanigans.

If they aren't intelligent enough to understand that already, or to be aware of something like the Auburn fans who doused two girls from LSU with mustard during the game, then I'm not going to waste my time trying to change the way they think.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are always a few jerks in any crowd. I've visited most SEC stadiums and I've had to deal with total jerks at Florida, Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Bama. LSU does not have a monopoly on rude fans.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

rack 'im! An outstanding example for all fans of intercollegiate sports to follow. A tip of the cap to Tiger420 for rising to the occasion and representing well :thumb:

I didn't witness the events you reference ( I was across the field in Section 9) but the LSU fans in the secetions around our seats were well-mannered before and after the game. Same for the tailgates.

It is very visible to me that LSU fans are making a concerted effort to shake some negative perceptions that are now past history. That's an example that all college football fans could emulate.

[​IMG]

6. Tiger420

Everyone has them and everyone should work to change them. This has nothing to do with the other schools. This has everything to do with taking care of our university and the way it is represented. There is no substitute for a class act and I would hope that all fans of all Universities everywhere would strive for the same.

7. Tiger420

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

Good post, 420. And don't get mad at Bandit, he's just sore from tipping port-a-potty's.

It's not about changing the way they think, it's about the good fans standing up to the few bad ones that give us such a bad reputation. There's nothing worse than a classless fan no matter what school they represent.

9. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

I walked around campus all day yesterday and saw nothing but die hard SEC fans mixing it up with each other and having a good time. LSU fans travel very well and it was just a great day of football.

I tivo'd the game so now I have to go watch for all these bad calls that LSU supposedly got....I seem to remember Russell missing open receivers time and time and time again and two incredible defenses hardly allowing positive yardage.

Good luck the rest of the year Tigahs!

10. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

No, I'm just tired of the obsession some people have over an "image" that can be applied to just about any group of fans anywhere. I'm not interested in joining a public relations army to reveal what ought to already be obvious: stupid things happen at football games. Let security do it's job and help them if you think you need to but come down from your soap box and stop campaigning.