Tiger Impact

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JSracing, Jul 16, 2006.

1. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

ok how Random is this.....

So I'm shopping for cold drinks in the Pig ( I've been the elected employee coke fund person for 5 years now :dis: ) SO I'm shopping for drinks in the local piggly wiggly and this very tall ( 6'2"? ) young man is assigned to my two buggies.... At the Pig they push your buggy out for you come hell or high water. At any rate I told him I'd push one, just to keep from looking so bizarre, a young man with two buggies and me with none....

OK back to the story. I asked him how old he was, he says "16" . So then I asked him where he went to High school, he says South Panola. ( they could beat Ole Miss and State I swear )

So since this is a small town I mentioned that with his apparant height and build he should be playing football, to which he replied he was. So I asked him what he bench pressed and he said 265 but he is working on it. Then I asked him what position he played and he said QB. :shock: Then he said, " you prolly havent seen me play because I am just a sophmore."

I understood why he hadn't played much then, everyone around here knows with the stable of athletes South Panola regulary gets, you really can't expect to play much in those positions until you are at LEAST a sophmore, more likely a JR. Except Mop up duty in the 4th...

SO I shook his hand ( the Kid had huge hands ).... now here is the kicker, keep in mind I live 20 miles from the Ole Piss campus. :eek:lefire: ... I asked him where he planed to play college ball and he said..... you ready? LSU... yup He said he loves the way they play. He loved the uniforms and the Tiger. and most of all he liked the Tiger attitude. :shock: :grin: :grin: :thumb: :geauxtige

He also said he wanted to go somewhere besides a dead end Miss. school. I told him he was right to pursue this avenue. Of course I then had to tell him all about Tiger stadium, and immediately his eyes light up and he wanted to go to some games. I feel it is my duty to take him to a game now.

NOW he may NEVER be good enough to play at LSU or even OLE MISS or slippery rock for that matter. ( even though he is obviously got the physical stuff ) The point is... his thinking.... he is stuck in North MISS and he WANTS to go to LSU... not cause his Dad was from down in LA or his cousin went etcc etcc.... He wanted to go as an ATHLETE.

Now I know this isn't the first kid that wanted that, mercy no, but it is just GREAT to see MORE and MORE kids wanting to go to LSU.... and not BAMA like it used to be..

thats it.

2. clair

clair Rockets

:) i like that story...

My dad works with quite a few people from Mississippi, and the consensus is that most do like LSU just as much as the Miss teams

3. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

i used to be a carry out too! good job, you meet a lot of people

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Smart kid you ran into.

5. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Take him to a game!

6. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Did you see how far he could throw a six-pack?

7. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should take him to a game too, that will sure enough get him hooked.

Good luck with this young man. A lot of talent comes out of South Panola.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Just be smart JS! You can be a unofficial scout for LSU, but not a recruiter. NCAA compliance rules for alumni, boosters and friends of the university are strict. There are thing you can do but many things you can not do without risking recruiting problems for LSU.

"No alumni, boosters or representatives of a college's athletics interests can be involved in recruiting prospective student-athletes. Only coaches and staff members of a college or university are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes to their school."

By all means let all of us and the coaching staff know about any player that looks like a prospect, but please read the LSU and NCAA Compliance Rules.

Tiger Athletic Fundation: THE PRINCIPLE OF RULES COMPLIANCE

BOOSTERS/REPRESENTATIVES OF ATHLETIC INTERESTS

This kid sounds great, definitely let the LSU recruiting coordinator know about him. [email protected]

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Can you not take a kid to a game? :shock:

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Probably not, but there is an exception if you are a “established family friend” or neighbor. If he's only a sophomore, he may not be a prospect, yet.

The TAF website makes this final note: