Tiger Softball Coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxtigs, May 28, 2011.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not sure but I am sure the situation is not helping her cause. LSU will likely target another big time head coach before taking shots at assistants.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

so what did alleva do to phuck this up?

and the guy saying he would be in it for the long haul? yep, 48 hours. whooo wheee. dat's an eternity! :rolleye33:

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I assume that Alleva announced the big women's softball head coach hire....

....(without a signed contract with him) ?????

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Alleva seems to be the frog sitting in the pot of cool water that's ever so slowly having the heat turned up on him. Trent is turning out to be a questionable hire, and he's thrown an insane amount of money after a non-established women's basketball coach, and now this?

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Sadly this is very common among sport contracts across the board. Just rarely see many go through the process and leave so soon after reaching an agreement and publicly announcing. Details are usually ironed out over time with agents/attorneys.

And this process can't be avoided because it involves public institutions, tax money, board of directors, etc... That is why we see instances where coaches work for over a year and still do not have a final contract in place. Tons of checks and balances.

6. OkieTigerTK

Reminds me of gene stephenson of wsu taking the ou baseball job for something like 48 hours then changing his mind. Makes both parties look like idiots.

7. OkieTigerTK

And let's not forget the whole fb parking cluster that is headed our way.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

That's a crappy way to do business...it wouldn't happen in the private sector...not for such a big hire. Do you realize that, at LSU, the men's football coach makes over $6 million and is responsible for overseeing a program that generates $90 million in revenue annually. I know this is women's softball, but still. How would you expect Alleva to handle more important hires like men's football.

Can you imagine a law firm hiring someone of that stature and responsibility on a handshake???...and then having a nationwide press release that makes national news leaving open the possibility for one of the parties to renege on the deal?

Lawyers know how to craft contracts that are binding overall with room to iron out details over time. I'm no lawyer, but I promise you there's a way to sign someone to a binding contract, pending legislative approval and other small details yet to be negotiated. Agreement in principle.

Alleva shouldn't have made the announcement without something tangible (binding) in hand.

I guess he was treating this major hire like a "commitment" from a 17 year old recruit. :dis:.

Alleva's to blame for mud on LSU's face.

....and Murphy played Alleva perfectly to get what he wanted at Bama. I wish he'd have stayed....Murphy's a genius !!!

1 person likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Murphy manipulated LSU to get the salary and the indoor practice facility that he wanted at Bama. Apparently it was the only way for him to get any attention at Bama. It's happened before and Alleva should have been aware of it. I know that LSU wanted to break the story before it leaked, but they should have given him more time to weasel out considering how long he had been at Bama.

And Murphy will now have to turn that new paycheck and new facility into an actual NCAA championship . . . and soon. He has embarassed two major universities and two Athletic Directors and made a flake of himself in the process. Bama is certainly his terminal destination now.

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

This is all on Murphy. His flip-flop was not a result of anything Alleva did or failed to do. If he was just using LSU as leverage against Bama to get what he wanted as Red suggested, then he is totally without character or integrity and Bama can have him.