Tiger Stadium construction

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, May 6, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

There's an article today on the will do's and maybe's..

on construction at LSU. The legislature turning down the ticket plan that LSU wanted to do has changed the direction of where the money was going to come from and now they will have to try and get donations for much of what is planned. hopefully Skip can work his magic and get these things accomplished. The BOX will probably be torn down unless the company doing the study and plans on renovating it can keep the cost down as it appears it may cost more to renovate than to build a new one. The softball complex needs a new facility, they can't renovate.

Article in Advocate on Construction plans.

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Here are some images from a few days ago.

3. Capt Fun

Capt Fun Founding Member

I have a question about existing buildings. I don't see any of the fraternity houses on the lake. The sorority houses are still there but the frats are gone. Is this part of the master plan?

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

has anyone gotten any word on the FIELD? Crawfish and myself walked on that bad boy during the preseason last year, and to say that it was in as good a shape as the T-ball fields at PARDS' North Park fields in Denham Springs is an overstatement.

T-Ball fields in DS, by the way, have been known (at least back in my day) to have kitty litter used to fill in the "potholes" on the baseline...To give you an idea of how bad a condition I thought the field was in.

I had heard they were ripping it up and installing new turf ASAP after the season...Has anyone heard anything else? We need new grass BIGTIME...

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I never noticed before, but there does seem to be a reduction in frat houses. That lakefront property has become valuable to LSU since the Cook Center and the LSU system building moved there. Greek houses are not a priority for colleges these days with limited space on campus. They may be moving some off-campus, where they are at many schools.

The Tiger Stadium turf didn't look too bad at the spring game, except for a couple of small brown spots. I don't remember too many turf problems in 2003, even though we had several rain games. 2002 was horrible, with turf coming up in clumps all season. That was a special situation, according to groundskeepers. Excessive rain in September caused the grass to develop a shallow root structure and there was little that could be done about it.

I expect the Tiger Stadium turf to be pristine in September. A state-of-the-art underfield drainage system was installed in the late 80's, overlain by two feet of sand. Rain no longer stands in puddles on the field, but soaks right through and is pumped away. The turf gets impacted severely by game play and even more by the paint used on the field during the season. But, the groundskeepers keep a close eye on the Tiger Stadium turf and it is the most pampered grass on campus.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The GDI's are making a comeback!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Down with the frat houses and make parking lots!!! :grin: :thumb: :grin: :thumb: :grin: :thumb: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

We provided washing machines, didn't we?

We could have just given you a washboard and a bar of soap! :hihi:

8. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

does anyone know what the stadium capacity will be for death valley after the construction is completely finished?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There will only be a couple of hundred additional seats. The new deck isn't about more seats. It's about more high-surcharge seats. The three new club levels will bring in $2,500 a seat in surcharges.

And it is already sold out.

10. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

... that is a whole bunch of money....

I just noticed the new smilies!!!!
    :rofl: :thumb: :po: :bncry: :eek: :lol: :angryfire :hihi: :confused: