Tiger Stadium Feldman article on ESPN

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu_mackey, Oct 1, 2007.

1. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

Agreed. The field being so close is probably one of the biggest reason. I haven't even seen a high school stadium with the stands that close. But the single biggest reason is all these awsome fans that we have. Where else can you go to a game where it gets so loud that everything everything goes quiet and your ears start ringing? No where....except maybe the Superdome this coming January.:wink:

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I can't say for sure because I wasn't at the '79 USCw game, but I was at the Earthquake game. I've never been to a game before or since where my ears were ringing for a full 2 days after the game. That and the '97 game against Fla. were the two loudest I've ever been to in any stadium, including the SuperDome back in the 'Dome Patrol' era.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You mean........unbeaten AND #1 Florida?? :eek:

That was the first time in Tiger Stadium history the goal posts were pulled down- wait a minute, don't tell me...... :hihi:

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yep. I still have my ticket stub and some TS turf from that game in a challis in my LSU room. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  5. Kandjviz

Kandjviz Founding Member

I agree with ya'll about the loudest games. UGA game in '03 also and Bama game in 79 when we lost to second #1 team we played that year(3-0). I am thrilled that Gameday is coming so fans will be exceedingly fired up and loud for this game. Urban Meyer said at SEC media days that he hadn't been to a louder stadium than "the Swamp" but he hasn't been in Death Valley at night we out to make sure he feel's our presence.:geauxtige

6. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

As fans we really need to bring it onto Florida for our team. I would like this to be such an over the top experience of crowd noise that the Gators can't hear anything. Bringing Mike VI in will be a special in TS motivating everyone to yell louder.

Question??? Is a drunk Tiger louder then a sober Tiger?

7. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Many moons ago, when I was a member of the Tiger Band, I had the good fortune to actually be on the field during pre-game and halftime periods. The noise is completely deafening on the field even for the band. I can only imagine what it's like for the teams during play.

The noise always seemed louder during half time shows.....maybe the "liquid refreshment" was a factor.

I think other band members can back up what I've said here. It was always a very special feeling to march out onto the field at Tiger Stadium. It has been thirty five years since I last did so, and I swear I still get goose bumps thinking about it.
    :eek:ldskule:

8. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

I have been to many NCAA stadiums and have never encountered anything like Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night against an SEC opponent.

Here are my observations, in no certain order:

1. Notre Dame - all bench seating, crammed in together. Someone's head is literally between your legs while you are sitting. The fans sit the entire game (not the student section), the noise level is not that spectacular. That being said, it was a great game day experience. I was there 2 years ago when they played Tennessee.

2. Tennessee - same as above regarding the seats. The noise level is loud, but nothing to write home about. UT fans have told me that this is due to the large number of older fans that come to the games and listen to the play by play on headsets (I did see a lot of this) . Another great game day experience, especially the Vol Navy.

3. Mississippi State - Horrible stadium, horrible campus, scant fans, the ones that are there are apathetic. Highlight of my trip was eating at Shoney's.

4. Georgia - Great campus, awesome tailgating, great stadium. Courteous fans, many are older. Noise level about the same as Tennessee's.

5. Vanderbilt - Surprisingly great stadium, despite its size. Beautiful campus, but not much of a gameday experience around the stadium. I was there for the LSU game a couple years ago. The stadium was 65% LSU, so it was louder than expected. Nashville is a great city. Hanging out on honkey tonk row with hundreds of LSU faithful made for a great trip.

6. Kentucky - Great stadium, decent gameday experience around the stadium. A little noisier than expected, but this was the blue grass miracle game. Would definitely go back.

I anxiously await other submissions on this topic.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Absolutely, without a doubt. I played trumpet in Tiger Band, so I was on the back lines (which turned into the L) marching onto the field for pregame. Before we did the about face back toward the SW corner and had the rest of the band behind me, I literally could not hear ANYTHING but the crowd. I couldnt hear myself, I couldnt hear any part of the band, NOTHING. I just had to watch the rest of the bands movement to know when I was supposed to move. The first time I ever marched pregame was an absolutely overwhelming experience, and it never ever became anything less. It was exhilarating every time.

I didnt grow up an LSU fan, and only went to the school because of a music scholarship. Once I made the decision to go, got registered, and handled all the logistics of actually being a student at LSU, I became a fan. I fell in love when I went for spring testing, but that first day marching on the field marks the day my veins officially began flowing purple and gold.

10. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

Lets face it this only reconfirms what we already know, but I still love seeinf it.

As for the limited stadiums Ive visited, not including Bowl Games (in order from loudest to least):

Auburn - Tiger Stadium wannabe, loud and nice stadium.

Ole Miss - Much louder than they are given credit for, its not the greatest stadium but its still better than some Ive been to.

Georgia - Nice stadium and pretty loud, but Ole Miss wins because it seems to be much, much louder, atleast per person.

Mississippi State - Not too loud and is basically a glorified High School Stadium; visit good ole "Starkvegas".