Tiger Stadium is a tough place to play ....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Nov 17, 2002.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

when it is 70 degrees, clear skies, nighttime, LSU is wearing white jerseys, and we're winning or it is a close game. Take any of those ingredients out of the mix and it becomes, to quote a former USC lineman, like romper room. With all those ingredients it is like playing inside a drum, according to Bear Bryant. But, throw in "cold" weather, daytime, rain, purple jerseys, or, most importantly, LSU losing by more than 14 points, and the place becomes more silent than Sunday morning church.

With an entire quarter remaining in the game and Bama up 21-0, ESPN panned the crowd with its cameras. There were a lot of people in the lower southeast part of the stadium, most of whom were wearing crimson and white. Otherwise, it was near empty. The overwhelming majority of the second largest crowd in Tiger Stadium history had already left for the warmth of their cars. The only sounds other than the Bama band and fans were the sounds of shoes on concrete heading towards the portals. This, more than anything that happened on the field last night, sickened me the most.

Do people forget over the course of one week that the game takes a full 60 minutes? I realize that the prospect of us coming back at that point was minimal, but was it not also minimal with 2 seconds to play in Lexington? For the most part, LSU fans did not leave early last week. Why go now? If the weather is the answer, ask yourself if you would have stayed had the roles been reversed and LSU had been up 21-0.

I am beginning to think that our writer friend with the article linked above is correct. Tiger Stadium is not so tough unless the correct mix of ingredients is thrown in. Otherwise, it is no better than any other stadium in the country. I'll be there next week for the first time in 2 years, and I guarantee that I'll be there until the clock hits 0:00, regardless of the score or the weather. I just wish more LSU fans adhered to the same guarantee.

2. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I looked across the field and was amazed at the empty seats with 13:30 left in the game. When Bama went up 31-0 the LSU fans we went to the game with ask if we were ready to go and I said if we wait another 10-15 minutes till the game is over we should have no traffic headed west, the 10,000 fans here will all be headed east back to Bama.

3. JTV

JTV Founding Member

If you had to sit in that cold stadium and watch that sickening, miserable performance by a team with a million dollar coach who doesn't feel the need to recruit QBs, and "prepares" his team so well that they committ a false start on every offensive series and block in the back on every punt return, you, like me, would have been the hell out of there...

4. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Now hold on a minute.

[Quote from TigerSaint] - "Saban has proven with his recruiting, record and SEC Championship that he is the new top dog in the SEC."

How can you argue with that statement? LSU has the most "Elite" coach in the SEC.

Here are some pics taken of the game with time taken. http://www.tidefans.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/028597.html