Tiger Woods cont...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Sep 4, 2006.

1. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Anybody hear that stat on Sunday about tigers first ever tour paycheck was like $2500...last year he averaged $2500 per shot...per friggan shot!!!! I cant even begin to imagine what that must feel like. Tiger can go out and play a round of golf and before he is even close to finishing the first nine...has allready made more money then me in one year. That is 2 hours of work = my work for one year.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I read an article last year that said he's never cashed a check for his endorsement deals. It's all invested.

Must be tough getting by on 6 million a year. :lol:

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

He's ridiculous. Just as soon as everyone thinks he's falling off, he starts playing some of his best golf to date. And his caddie said that the best is yet to come. How he knows that is beyond me, but he seems like a reliable source.

I don't think that his legacy is at any risk of being tarnished by a supposed 'lack of competition.' Sometimes, someone is just so freaking good at something that no one else can even come close to them.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Easy to say now...it was about a year ago and everybody was talking about him being in a slump.

Personally, I think the competition right now, when taken as a whole, is pretty darned good. Especially when compared to earlier eras, like Byron Nelson, Palmer, and Nicklaus. Nicklaus' best opponent for a number of years seemed to be Tom Kite!! Today's field includes a ton of guys that on any given day can compete.

I'm probably enjoying Garcia's failures too much, but damn it's fun to see him lose. It's too bad that Els isn't at the top of his game, b/c IMO, he's the only guy with the raw talent to challenge Tiger. Futiley, of course, but at least challenge him!

I think we're all fortunate to watch Tiger in his prime. I can only imagine how great it must have been to watch some of the greats in ANY sport (e.g. Palmer, Ruth, Gehrig, Orr, Jim Brown, Russell, Cobb, etc.)

5. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

He'll be the next non-business man to become a billionaire. And by "nonbusiness man" I mean someone whose primary occupation isn't business...

he'll get thrown in with the likes of Oprah and Spielberg who made a billion without being the founder of some big company.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I fully agree, that's why I said perceived lack of competition may tarnish his legacy.

7. clair

clair Rockets

and even if the competition isn't good (which it is), he wins so many tournaments by 4, 5, and even 6 shots sometimes that he has such a strangle hold on the field, that it wouldnt matter WHO he plays

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Tiger Woods is THAT good. I bet if Phil or Vijay played back in the 50's they would be the best player by a long shot. The focus and practice has come a long way.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Let me preface my remarks by stating that I am a huge Tiger Woods fan. I first saw Tiger when he played in a national junior tournament at the Air Force Academy approximately 15 years ago. You think he hits it long today, you should have seen him hit driver at 6,000 feet :lol:

However, I am in agreement with the perception that Tiger doesn't face the same caliber of competition that Jack faced in his major victories.

I'm old enough to have seen Jack in his early days and throughout his career. I saw most, if not all, of his 18 major victories. In my humble opinion, I think Jack faced a little tougher competition in the majors than Tiger does today. Palmer, Trevino, Player, Watson, Miller, Casper, et al are all Hall of Famers that Nicklaus faced. In an incredible statistic that is rarely mentioned, Jack finished second in majors 19 times. I looked at Tiger's stats and he has one second place finish.

Having said that I think that could Tiger could more than hold his own if techology was capable of transporting him back to the era when Jack was in his prime and Tiger was able to face the same competition.

When it's all said and done and Tiger hangs up his spikes, I think he will have easily broken Jack's record of 18 majors and will have probably eclipsed Snead's record of 82 Tour victories.

By then, the lack of competition whether it be perceived or actual will probably be a moot point.