Tiger

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by COTiger, Aug 7, 2010.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I don't see him turning his game around in 6 weeks, therefore I don't see him being on the Ryder Cup team.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

The biggest story of our lifetimes may be unfolding right now. If he can't come back from this, this will top every "most shocking sports story" list from now to eternity. This would be like Jordan in his prime getting cut and not getting an offer to play because he was so bad. Or even crazier, what if he just hung it up and said he quit.

But I don't really think that will happen. Not yet anyway. He'll come back and be a very good top 5 pro. Every tournament that passes, leaves him with less and less of a chance to return to what he was.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I remember when he first turned pro and was dominating, some commentators who had played on the tour said that his swing was perfect, but it was not built to last. They said it would put tremendous strain on his lower back especially, and you had to be young and strong to execute it as well as Tiger did. But in the long run, the stress would possibly give him problems with his back and other joints.

So, is it in his head, depression over what he has cost himself (marriage, life with his kids, respect of the fans, 100 million ins settlement, many endorsements for the future, over publicity of his private life); or is it his body giving out (had a stress fracture in his leg already); or some of both?

Tiger could learn a less stressful swing as he gets older.

It will be interesting to watch. A 20 something can focus on gold because he has nothing else important in his life. A 30 something with an ex, and 2 kids, single again and chasing it, lot to rebuild. He may have to restructure his finances after losing his sponsorships. He's still making big bucks, but not as big as he once did.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I thought that having all this out in the open would actually make tigger even more dominant. Having all that stuff bottled up inside of him had to be an incredible amount of pressure and to have it all out in the open, to be able to relax and just play golf with a clear head. Boy was I wrong. This cat is D-O-N-E. I don't think there is any chance he catches Jack now. Hell I could have beat him today and I have to line up aiming at the center of the fairway left of the hole I'm on just to play my slice. What a chump.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

His game has gone downhill too fast for it to be physical. It has to be mental. On top of that, for the time being, he seems to be putting his family first. After a few more losses that will change and he'll be back to practicing everyday and be pretty good but Shane is right, no way he catches jack.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

It is a mix of both but most fans forget that he wasn't really at the top of his game before he was outed. So I am sure it didn't help him at all. Can't really call it the season a wash or whatever because the mental aspect of the game is what golf is all about. He is letting it get the best of him and if he continues to do so he losses no excuses.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Tigers swing coach left him in May, talk about kicking a guy while he's down. I think it was Hank Haney. They must have had a fight, but I didn't hear what that was about.

Tiger Woods' Coach Hank Haney Leaves the Team | Bleacher Report

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I would guess that Haney had no choice even though he made the choice.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Hank saw the writing on the wall and resigned. Would Tiger have fired him if he had stayed on? I suspect so.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I will look it up and edit this post, but he had 1 year in relative recent history where he only won once...

I am pretty sure it was 2005

With that said, i means something to have this bad of a showing and still be the #1 golfer.

I think he will fall this year but come back slowly. I think it really depends on his family life....