TigerBait.com, TigerRag, et cetera

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TomyDingo, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I don't like it myself. stingy bastards

2. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

Re: TigerForums.com will always be free to use

I am a web developer by trade so I know what bandwidth does & what it can cost. The reason that I said that one day this forum may shut down or go pay is due to the unknown. What happens if LSU wins a MNC? What happens if one of the other boards shuts down? What happens when all of a sudden there are 1000 new users all refreshing the pages over & over agian? That would get pretty costly. Not saying that it will happen, but it has happened on other boards.

I applaud your enthusiasm to remain free. I know other boards have had a hard time keeping up with costs & hopefully you will not confront that. My statement was a mere hypothetical & there is no need for you to get your panties in a wad over it.

3. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

My response was in regards to this statement which hypothetical or not, is incorrect.

While you are a web developer, not everyone is. I was explaining why our situation is different than other message boards. We use high quality software that reduces bandwidth and CPU usage, thus costs, in a number of ways. This addresses your question about a dramatic increase in users. There is no click-back-click-back-click that causes strain on a server's CPU.

You were politely welcomed here when you first joined so I'm a bit taken back by your rudeness. You took it upon yourself to tell the members and visitors here that this board will eventually start charging when in fact it won't.

As the owner of this board and the only one who is in the position to know, I'm just setting the record straight. My panties are fitting quite comfortably. You can even buy a pair here.
    [​IMG]

4. The Crawfather

The Crawfather Freshman

Why do you think his panties are in a wad? I am not a regular on this board, but I read his statements to be merely an advertisment of his future plans - him just wanting to let everyone know that they don't have to worry about being forced to pay for a privelege of reading someone's opinion on a message board.

You should change your alias to 'Hypothetical Meathead'.

Good luck.

5. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

If you think I am being rude, you need to get yourself some thicker skin. The topic of this thread was how all the LSU boards compare to each other. I posted my thoughts & what I believed is POSSIBLE for the future of this board & others like it. I am pretty sure that the owners of other boards never thought the day woudl come that they would have to charge...bu tlook at them now, yours is the only free one left standing.

I guess with all the money you are pumping in the board, you cannot afford regular men's underwear? (<- That is a JOKE! You know.. ha ha)

6. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

Again, this thread started by asking opinions of all the message boards that are out there. I gave my opinions & some folks got pissy about them. Someone shoudl look up the definition of opinions

As for your alias, I think Dumbass may be a better fit.

7. The Crawfather

The Crawfather Freshman

Is that your opinion or your wish? Perhaps the owners of boards that have turned to charging money were poor money managers, or didn't have deep pockets.

What if sites that have started charging money start to attract too many people that their traffic increases and as a result they have to charge more money to handle the increased bandwidth, and then start losing people because they thought it was not worth it to begin with, especially now with the increased charge, and the other free sites start getting more hits as a result, but since server costs have been decreasing and network efficiencies have improved to the point that one of the free sites could easily accomodate the additional traffic and then people would start to realize that being forced to pay for a message board makes about as much sense as asking Michael Jackson to be your babysitter, and the owners of the pay boards start to see that it is no longer financially feasible to support their expensive pay board due to loss of customers, and so they close shop, and then the paying customers are left in the dark and wondering what to do because they would be as welcomed on the free sites as much as a member of the Saddam Fedayeen would be welcomed in Kurdish Iraq, and so they decide to start their own free board, and spam the hell out of boards like this to attract new users?

How's that for a hypothetical?