Tigers' comments on current events

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by GregLSU, Dec 2, 2009.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I can assure you my wife would not be sitting next to my ass if I cheated but if the woman has decided to forgive and move on, why is it bad for her to express this at a press conference with her husband. I don't think they should do it unless they have decided to forgive and be together but if they have made that decision, do you still think it's a bad thing?

2. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

I'll bite on the legal ramifications, just because I finished my Torts II final on privacy:

When analyzing whether Tiger Woods has a cause of action for privacy concern the courts will look to New York Times v. Sullivan. Since Tiger Woods is a public figure/official and the crash is of public interest, he cannot bring a cause of action for privacy unless he proves NY Times actual malice, or "reckless or indifference to the truth."

Now, to prove libel, or written defamation, Tiger Woods would have to show that this statement was indeed defamatory (and we know he isn't going to come out and prove/say it). Under qualified privileges, the media has a defense for reporting on public interest.

There's your law lesson of the day!

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Personally i don't care that Woods was banging a stripper, i can't judge the dude, this story is a result of american people's appetite for famous people's dirty laundry, and scandals. This is such a big story because its Tiger Woods, and these are the times. He is human, and the quote of the last 2 days is the Chris Rock quote "a man is basically as faithful as his options."

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I still think it's hideous for a woman to be dragged out in public at a news conference because her man cheated on her. I surely wouldn't be up there, whether I was staying with him or not. It's like they think women have no pride, no ego.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Fair enough. In all honesty, I cringe while watching those things. It's so friggin awkward. The Kobe thing was the worst. I was so embarrassed for everyone involved that I could barely watch the news coverage.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Stacy, I get the impression those women allow themselves to be dragged out for one reason. The almighty $.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

financial security will keep a lot of women in less than ideal marriages, thats for sure.

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Tiger's got himself into a hell of a mess. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Even though he's taking a beating in the court of public opinion, his sponsors are standing behind him. I would think the ball is in Elin's court. If she were decide to proceed with divorce proceedings I don't see how it could be anything but a PR disaster for Tiger. Will be interesting to see if this effects his golf game. I don't see how it can't.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm sure they do, but if money was such a motivation, just hit the divorce courts, not press conferences.

Politicians are the worst of them all with the bs press conferences.

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

He is taking at PR beating but I think he will weather this mess. He is still the most recognizable athlete in the world and a little middle leg maneuver isnt going to diminish his appeal much. Its not like he was bangin some maggot in a bathroom stall.

She isnt going to file for a divorce either. She signed a pre-nupt and wouldnt get jack if she filed.

I think there is more money for these jilted women if they stay married. Thats why you see them swallow their pride and subject themselves to the humiliation. Money has a strange way of forgiving a bailey wicking bed hopping hubby.