tigers have TROUBLE now!!!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by col reb, Aug 9, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I wouldn't get too worked up. "fat" and "overweight" are relative. Do you really think 11 pounds on a 6'4" 298 pound body is significantly overweight?

http://www.acadiananow.com/sports/html/D4B9DF06-F2D2-4537-8748-714227702F9D.shtml

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I think Saban is more concerned with the level of commitment during the offseason, not the actual weight of players ... he can work that off of them.

Saban said last week (Rotary Club meeting?) that last year was the best shape his players were in when fall practice started ... and they won the NC. The previous best was the 2001 team ... and they won the SEC and Sugar Bowl.

Saban is more pissed off at their level of commitment, heart, desire, etc ... which can affect the outcome of this season.

3. Laminator

Laminator Founding Member

When I first read Saban's statements, and the links between offseason commitment and the following season's results, I started to get my good ol' LSU "uh oh" going on.. but I changed my mind on this one. You KNOW CNS is hyper-sensitive to any letdowns after the MNC and is going to find something to harp on, just so his players know that he means business. If he came in and immediately started raving about condition, it might have a negative effect. The fact that 25 players got over 75 points is awesome. This team is crazy good people, don't forget. Easily the most talented team we've seen in a lot of years. Should be fun.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Nicely put.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

When I first mentioned that Saban had expressed "concern" over some overweight linemen in early July (as I had heard it from a "connected" LSU booster) the overwhelming opinion was that these guys still had a month to get in shape before reporting. The way I figure, if I knew about it, the players themselves undoubtedly knew about Saban's ire. I'd be willing to bet their biggest disappoinment today is perceiving they might've let CNS down.

JMO, but I think Saban's attitude is to be commended. I like the "old school" attitude that promotes discipline, work ethic, commitment, and most of all ....winning. Getting "harsh" early may just inspire some to realize that winning "isn't a sometimes thing, it's an always thing." It's good to see that in the SEC, and it's one of the things I believe can differentiate the conference. Good for CNS.