Tigers in the Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ch0sn0ne, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

With Toefield making it official, it got me thinking about how many of Tigers have a shot at getting drafted in April.

Everyone knows that in this day and age combine and individual workouts have huge implications on a players draft status. A lot of guys get a shot even though they were never so called stars on the college level. This scenario helps guys like Reggie Robinson a ton.

What nfl team can't use a 6'2 200+ lb receiver that has decent hands and is a great downfield blocker? Yeah he never lit it up at LSU but I really think with a decent 40 time and medical exam at the combine somebody is going to give him a shot.

Kendrick Allen is in the same boat.

Rob Sale will get a shot just because he can play multiple positions, and center is one of them.

Here are my very very early predictions on which Tigers will go where.

Round
    1st none
    2nd Bradie James
    3rd LaBrandon Toefield
    4th Domanick Davis
    5th Kendrick Allen, Demitrius Hookfin
    6th Reggie Robinson, Norman Lejuene, Jerel Myers
    7th Rob Sale, Damien James, Jeremy Lawrence

I am sure all of these guys will not be drafted, but the guys that are picked in the 6th and 7th rounds have about the same odds as a guy who gets a shot as a FA.

I think the guy who may be the biggest surprise is Hookfin. I know a lot of Tiger fans have been hard on him over his career, but I have heard two different scouts say he is one of the best cover guys in the SEC this past season. Workouts will be Key for him.

Way early for this, but I miss CFB already, and am grasping for anything I can find to talk about the Tigers. How many days until Spring starts????

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think all of the players you listed will be drafted or get free agent contracts.

I don't think Toefield will be drafted above the fourth round. Two injury-shortened seasons isn't enough to impress NFL teams, even if he has a good combine.

On the other hand, I think Hookfin and Sale may go a round higher.

3. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

we will know we've arrived when we have multiple players go in the first round....

what miami did in last seasons draft was incredible.

speaking of which...is there any new rule with the NCAA and NFL that would allow a player.. that was not drafted to come back to his school and play? i believe thats only in basketball and baseball, but id like to see it with the NFL aswell (granted the athlete did not sign with an agent).

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

In baseball you can be drafted and still come back. I beleive Wally Pontiff and a couple others were doing this last year for baseball. If you can do this in baseball I think you should be able to for football also.

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

The difference in football and baseball is that you have to actually declare in writing for the draft as an underclassman. once this is done, you cannot change your mind. This happened to Stallworth last year. He declared, then tried to change his mind, and was turned down.

Once you sign the paper, your college career is over.