Tigers in the NFL 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Feb 22, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

OBJ and Landry should be close picks, this years class of WR is deep, real deep.Overall this is a deep draft. Look at the record number of Jrs that came out. Teams will play the odds at times, with the hope of getting a 1st rounder in the 2nd or 3rd.

The thing about OBJ and Landry, both can come in and help a team from day one. OBJ can help returning punts and kickoffs. Landry is one that doesn't shy away from going across the middle. Both can do a lot of things, both know the NFL Route Tree. Cam has gotten call's from people he knows in the NFL on every player in the offense. They want his input, who better to get info from? A coach that has spent years in the NFL telling teams what they will get by drafting LSU players.

Same on the other side of the ball. Teams like what they get from the defensive players at LSU. Look at Eric Reid, after his first year in the NFL, a Pro Bowl Player, what a resume to start with. Got word a few weeks back that the 49'ers have been taking a look at Loston, could we see those two team up again? You never know who or when you'll get drafted, but this too is the time of the year I enjoy.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I know you are high on Loston, and I appreciate your enthusiastic support of LSU players, but I don't think he's anywhere close to being the heady player that Reid is now or was at LSU. I, too, expected Reid to excel, but don't have the same expectation for Loston. Hope I'm wrong.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Sorry if I came across as that way. I do not see him as anywhere close to Eric, but I do see him doing well in the NFL. Many people see him as a 6-7th round pick at best(Some don't see him getting drafted). He could go as high as the 3rd round. Once again, just a guess, but Loston has value. Remember, Loston can play both the Free and Strong position, that adds value in the NFL. Too many teams looking for help at the safety position.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

More on OBJ............

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Odell-Beckham?id=2543496

Even More.........

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/23/odell-beckham-lsu-nfl-combine-wide-receivers/

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Landry hurt himself with his 40 time, i think he drops to 3rd round.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That 40 time will only hurt if he replicates it at pro day. He pulled a calf when on the false start and still ran a 4.65. Combine trainers made him sit out.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I also think that Loston will succeed in the NFL. His combine analysis . . .

STRENGTHS
    Very well-distributed weight -- packs it well. Good eyes and anticipation. Is aggressive playing the ball in front of him in zone coverage and buzzes quickly to the flat. Good route recognition. Can carry receivers deep and match up with tight ends in man coverage. Steps downhill and can secure open-field tackles. Is tough, sacrifices his body and will deliver some jarring hits. Helps line up the defense and make adjustments. Is noticeably the vocal leader of the secondary (very animated communicator). Versatile with good interchangeability. Gunner and jammer on special teams. Has NFL pedigree. Smart, hardworking and accountable. Very good football intelligence.

WEAKNESSES
    Has short arms. Shows some hip tightness that restricts transitional quickness. Tends to rise in his pedal. Gives up separation in man coverage vs. receivers. Will seek the kill shot and can be overaggressive running the alley supporting the run. Can do a better job of driving through contact (not lunging and leaving his feet). Has a spotted injury history and has regularly missed time most years (though he is quick to rehabilitate).

BOTTOM LINE
    A big, hard-hitting, vocal secondary leader who showed better as a junior lining up along a more talented secondary next to Eric Reid than he did as a senior. However, still possesses starter-caliber traits as an interchangeable safety most ideally suited playing in the box.​

ParadiseiNC and LSUDad like this.
  8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Quite literally.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

if he drops he will be a steal in the 3rd round.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I'll wait till after April 9th Pro Day. I still see him as of now, not far after OBJ is picked. If he's in the 3rd, a team makes a steal. OBJ looked great this weekend, did too many things well.