Tigers Move to #12 in Coaches Poll (link)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ch0sn0ne, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

2. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Why is bama not ranked? I know they are on probation, but the coaches poll shouldn't reflect that, should it? 8-2 is still 8-2.

3. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

they can be ranked in the AP poll but not the Coaches. I would think it would be the other way around, but for some reason its like this

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Its because the coaches poll is required to place the BCS champion at number one, claiming them as the national champion. The AP is used in the BCS but independent from it.

5. Trentster

Trentster Founding Member

What do you mean required to placew the champion at number 1? Are there rules to the way coaches have to vote. I thought the AP and Cpaches poll weew weighted equally in the BCS standings.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Well, they are weighted equally in the BCS formula. Its just that when #1 and #2 play each other in the championship game, the winner of that game is the BCS champion. The coaches poll must select the winner of the game as their #1. The AP poll, however, can pick any team they want. Like last year when Oregon was ranked #2 in the AP poll at the end of the season. Had Nebraska beaten Miami, the coached would have been required to pick Nebraska as their national champion, while the AP would have probably picked Oregon #1 after their dismantling of Colorado (who beat Nebraska 62-36 just one month earlier).

7. Trentster

Trentster Founding Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I want playoffs!

8. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Correct we are banned from the coaches poll, but in order for the BCS rankings to work Bama is given a likely ranking in the BCS so the teams they play don't get screwed out of their strength of scheduling. Alabama has moved into the AP top 10 this week. You have a shot at knocking off a top 10 team.

I have been seeing that CBS will most likely pick up the Georgia vs Allbarn game and could be ESPN grabbing Alabama vs LSU game for their night game. So there is the night game you wanted. BTW Alabama is 2-0 at night on the road this season on ESPN.