Tigers take 2 out of 3 from UCF

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUstudent, Feb 15, 2004.

1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

...the largest winning margin this year by their football team was "only" 32 points in a 42-10 win over UAB...

...this was the only game they scored more than the baseball team in the above 38-0 BB win...

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Man, that hurts. They should have some kind of optional mercy rule. I'd hate to see the Tigers do that to an outmanned opponent.

3. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

"'We should have won it earlier in the game,' Gill said. 'We shouldn't have been playing in the 10th anyway. We had our chances.'"

I think that Blake said it most effectively- don't blame Clay Harris for one bad play at the very end of the game, everyone has a bad day (or bad minuite for that matter). The beauty of baseball is that you have time to tweak the lineup all during the early season to have the guys ready for the SEC and postseason.

:lsup: :tigerbase :lsup:

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Whoever gets annoyed at early season "coaching mistakes" is just foolish...The only thing I saw I questioned was when we still had the bunt on after a wild pitch moved our runner from first to second. That was puzzling...

As many in this thread have previously stated, the point is not to "play not to lose" or to leave someone in to long to "cost us a win", but to make sure that when JUNE gets here, and we're all pounding brews and throwing back 7 and 7 at Barrett's in God's Country-aka, OMAHA, that Smoke knows WHO he can go to and who he can't go to.

ANYONE WHO WAS FOLLOWING THE BASEBALL TEAM knew that Bumstead was set to get anywhere from 1-3 innings of a "simulated game" this weekend out in the bullie. By Sunday, we put him in a situation much better than a "simulated game". We put him in a REAL game.

Why? Well, it was obvious early on that Nate was underthrowing, aiming his pitches, and shaking off signs, an OBVIOUS sign of confidence issues regarding his arm and it's health.

He got into a pickle because of it, and he ended up fighting through it, started rearing back and chucking it, and stopped fighting off signs.

This is a HUGE DEVELOPMENT. Number one, we need to see if he's sore in the aftermath of going 3 innings. Number two, if he is NOT sore, we needed him to realize that he can throw at full strength in a game, get people out, and not have to worry about his future or his arm or his health. Number 4, we had to get his teammates CONFIDENT in Bumstead's ability. Number 5, we had to get the coaching staff CONFIDENT in his ability. Number 6, if he does end up sore after yesterday, we needed to know so he can get treatment and get that much closer to getting healthy.

I've often stared in bewilderment at how people get all up in arms over "not playing to win" in some games...

If you follow this frame of mind, you truly don't understand the game, and I'm not talking about the finer points. You DO NOT KNOW BASEBALL, PERIOD.

When Mariano Rivera is not effective, and you've got Pettite and Clemens on the bench, on four and five days rest, respectively, and you are in a tight game in the 9th, you, nor Joe Torre, nor anyone else would go to those pitchers. Even though those two guys could probably get you through one inning like a hot knife through butter...

Why don't you do this? Why don't you go to either of these two guys? Because in baseball, there's always another game...There's always the necessity to throw Clemens and Pettite on the next day. You can't waste them to get the game today, because then you don't have them for tomorrow. If you don't have them for tomorrow, then you will lose. So what good did winning and wasting do you? None at all. You gain nothing by that philosophy.

The early part of a season for this baseball season has traditionally been a period of time when we experimented with our batting lineup, our situational pitching, etc....

Jake Tompkins was our man out of the bullpen one year...The next, he was asked to be our lockdown ace...Bumstead started out as our man out of the bullpen, but then was asked to be our lockdown ace...Go back to Hunter Gomez...He was our man in the bullpen, and was then asked to be our lockdown ace...

Situations change over the course of the season. You need to put your arms in as many different and difficult pressure situations as possible in order to find out just what they're capable of. Sometimes, that means finding out how they deal with losing, and getting touched up. How they come back from those experiences. How they rebound...

Obviously, you (LSUHotDog and Twisted Tiger both) aren't quite as knowledgeable as you'd like to be. I suggest you take a more peripheral look around at what this team is attempting to accomplish and trying to achieve.

Baseball is a different animal, and you two should pay more attention....

Period.

5. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

"Whoever gets annoyed at early season "coaching mistakes" is just foolish"

lol...can i quote you on that during early season basketball Mr. Hypocrite?

6. TigerEducated

OK...Here's my point...

I was talking about BASEBALL...

A simple equation for you...

Baseball does NOT equal basketball...

Smoke could not coach hoops...Brady could not coach at Alex Box...

Smoke has made no mistakes thusfar this year, outside of something so simple and silly during a 17-4 win on Saturday that you can't truly question it...

Now, can we say the same thing about Brady?

LOL!!!!!

As for your hypocritical stance, we ALL are hypocrites, son...Whether you want to admit it or not...I freely embrace that I feel differently about Smoke than I do about Brady...

I also feel differently about the directions of their respective programs...

If you want to apply the same standards to both, then how is it that Smoke went to the CWS last year, and Brady has garnered two NCAA wins and an NIT win in what...7 years?

If Smoke can do it while totally revamping his lineup and only getting 11.7 ships a year for a team that has to have LOTS MORE players than b-ball, how can Brady not?

It's apples and oranges my friend, and so are the opinions...

Nice try, though...

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Lol...I was thinking the same thing.

8. TigerEducated

Smoke=Brady?

I'm LOL too...

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I agree with all of your baseball points TE, but then you do the exact same apples and oranges thing by comparing Smoke's accomplishments to Brady's. Smoke did not inherit a team decimated by the NCAA. Smoke took over a team coming off of a 5th NC in 10 years. Be consistent, my man.

10. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'd have to agree with that. I'm not a big fan of some of Brady's antics sometimes, but when you talk about what he's done with the program, he inherited a program that the NCAA was trying to decimate. He took that program to the Sweet 16 when we were under huge scholarship limitations. In his first season without scholarship limitations, we are in the Top 25 now, and we are still showing signs of improvement.

I would give him a couple of seasons with a full arsenal before calling for his head. I don't know how many coaches could have had more success than he had with the sanctions.