Tigers up 8-0, fire Smoke!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUSPORTSFREAK, Apr 25, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

2. col reb

col reb Founding Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
    One adorable avatar. Hope he goes to OM :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

3. LSUSPORTSFREAK

LSUSPORTSFREAK Founding Member

There's about as[​IMG] much of a chance of my child going to Ole Myth as there is of me voting for John F'ing Kerry :D

This pic was taken the day my child was born... notice there's no Ole Myth clothing here. :geaux:

At 3 1/2 weeks old, before the Auburn game, I took pictures with him in the locker room and on the field.

Before he was even born, I had a football autographed by the entire team for him. Little did we know at the time, The National Champions had signed it. [​IMG] :champs: :helmet:

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what is the real reason Jim Schwanke, now a mlb scout, was ran off or fired or let go or whatever. That always seemed to be a taboo subject with everyone having somewhat cloudy information. I know about the bats and style of play arguments but something never added up.

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Schwanke was let go because Skip wanted Turtle, and he needed to get the recruits in...and Schwanke wasn't cutting it from what I heard...Perhaps he had also worn out his welcome...

Hell, Beetle Bailey only got a job at LSU because he was Big Ben McDonald's high school baseball coach at Denham Springs High School coming out of Ben's senior year. He's STILL employed in the AD, because Bertman had him "reassigned" within the Athletic Department.

The LSU AD is-after all-a state run organization ;-)

6. tirk

schwanke did a great job with the hitters and was the incumbent chosen to follow Skip then Skip changed his mind when Smoke was in the picture it seemed. Seems like he did something to piss bertman off almost.

7. TigerEducated

Schwanke would never have been the heir, I can promise you that...

Skip's had his eye on Wells for a long, long time...

Remember, Wells is the only former protege that's advanced as far as Skip has...Wells led Bama to the 1997 Title Game...Where we stomped his arse 13-6...But still, he's been the only guy to consistently field good teams, though Bianco is proving himself bigtime over in Oxford.

I have never heard anything of Schwanke, and I was pretty tight with some baseball types for a second or two back in the day...

8. tirk

hell that was the intention when schwanke came here or at least implied. Have had season tickets since 1988 when i was at LSU and I can clearly remember that being understood by everyone involved (or so it seemed) when he came yet never officially offered to him. then, after gorilla ball heydays it seems he was gone and here we are. maybe it was a ploy to get him here, im not sure.

but with each passing yr and every interview i hear on the radio...I think Turtle would be a great coach and if smoke leaves would hope that he is around here to take over. hes straightforward, simplistic yet a very good personality and relates well with ppl. Not sure if that makes a good HC but i'd like to see him get the chance....here not anywhere else that is.

9. TigerEducated

I think Turtle doesn't want to be a head coach...He could have taken the Hawaii or the UNLV job just be staying in it long enough...as Schlossnagle and the other guy who took the Rainbows job were amateurs in my opinion (though Schlossnagle seems to be a helluva recruiter, or seemed to be...or perhaps it was just that he was a vulture...someone who could just pick up the pieces left by LSU after it moved through)...

I think Turtle loves the recruiting. I think he likes the talent evaluation part of it. The relationships, and I also think that he's compensated very well for what he does currently. He's in a low pressure situation, and with Smoke here now, the emphasis on recruiting is even lower, since Smoke was in charge of that stuff back in the first few years of the Bertman Era all the way up to 93 or 94, I believe...