Tiger's Vertical Attack?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jun 26, 2004.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

When people talk about the Tiger's offense for the coming season, the running game is the first thing mention. Justin Vincent and Company, along with the scrambling ability of Marcus Randall. I think fans (and other teams) are overlooking a couple things though. First, Randall has a HUGE arm. We know he can throw the long bomb (UK). Combine that with the incredible speed that LSU has amassed in its recieving corps, and I think LSU is gonna light some people up with the long pass.

My first post on here.. w00t.

2. Lump

Lump Founding Member

I don't know if I would call Randall's arm "huge". I would say average at best. He struggled with all his might, with a running start, and threw the BGM (bluegrass miracle...i like acronyms) about 55 yards. I don't remember exactly, but I believe he threw it around the 20, and it was first tipped around the 25.

I think this will be as run-oriented a jimbo fisher offense as we've ever seen, regardless of who the QB turns out to be.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

What's the difference between using the term "struggled" and "heaving" or "throwing triumphantly downfield"...? Could it be your opinion on Randall?

Let me ask you this: Did Doug Flutie "struggle" to get the ball down the field at the end of the BC game against Miami? If not, what showed you-on film-the difference between a "struggle" and a "powerful throw" that went basically the same damn distance?

I think his arm strength since he's been on the team has been THE best, until Russell has arrived on campus.

Randall's got a great deep arm, and he can throw it all day long. Having a "great" arm does not mean that you can heave it 70...That's having a superb arm, like Aaron Brooks, who won the NFL QB Challenge with a heave of that length.

If throwing it 60 yards-through the air, with plenty of air under it to help out the "tip drill" on the other end-with a running start is "struggling" and indicative of weak arm strength, then do me a favor...

Show me where you've collected your first paycheck as a professional arm strength tape breaker-downer...

Otherwise, leave the delusional inferences to yourself...

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

TE, I still have no idea what Marcus Randall you are watching. His arm strength is on the order of Matt Mauck. He can't throw the out pattern, I saw that for myself in the Spring game.

He does not have a great deep arm. He has on ok deep arm. His deep passing is probably better than his short and medium range passing, but that isn't saying much.

Lump's post is right on. This is a very mediocre QB. I just hope we use his running ability as much as possible to offset all of the misfiring on his part. If we do that, then the offense may succeed well enough to win all or most of our games.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Welcome to the board Locoguano. If you are new here, you now know that there are divergent opinions about everything and we're not afraid to express our disagreements. In this case, I agree that Randall is being unfairly disparaged by some based upon his play 2 years ago and a few mop up cameo appearances last season. He's a Division I QB, #1 on the depth chart of the defending National Champs and, in my view, that means he's got some talent.

6. islstl

I hope Randall completes 65 percent of his passes averaging 9 yards per pass attempt and has a more than 2-1 ratio of TDs to Ints.

I really do.

But will he? It would be a shock to me.

That being said, I hope to hell I am shocked this year.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

The kid's strong armed, and excellent athlete, and anyone whose seen him play can tell that. I didn't say he can heave it 70+, I didn't say he could thread the needle on the 20 yard sideline out consistently.

I said that he's got a great, strong arm. I believe that. If you think his arm is in the order of Matt Mauck, well, not to bring up other subjects, but it wouldn't be the first time you & I disagreed after watching the same games, coaching performances (ESPECIALLY), etc...

He's got a gun, he can fire it in there, and he'll prove it if given the opportunity, just as he has in the past.

8. islstl

I'll be the first person to post a congratulations to you on here once the season is over and Randall "succeeds" at QB.

I really hope I am dead wrong. It won't be the first or last time I am wrong, but you sure as hell will be one of the more important times I am wrong.

9. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

Remember guys, Marcus Randall doesn't NEED a great arm. His job this year will be like MAtt Mauck's lat year. Go out there and don't make mistakes. Don't lose the game for us. If he does that, the running game, and the defense will take care of the rest.

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

If Randall has a great arm I have yet to see it. Great, to me, means he can make all the throws. When I think of Randal throwing the long ball, I get flashbacks of the disgust on Claytons face after he had his defender beaten by ten yards, and the ball sailed over his head about ten feet. However, Mauck made great strides from one year to the next so there is hope that Randall can do the same.