Tiger's Vertical Attack?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jun 26, 2004.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Ok.. lets try this...

How bout the speed at reciever though? how many cornerbacks, with little to no help from the safeties (moved up to stop the run), are gonna be able to hang with these new guys and Skyler Green. If Randall can just get it out there, which i believe he can, then the long pass is definately there. If it is there, how much more powerful will the running game be when the safeties have to drop off? (rhetorical)

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

A lot of Randall's success will depend on Jimbo Fisher and the game plan he lays out for Randall to execute. The play calling, the adjustments we will have to make during the game will all dictate as to how successful Randall can be with this offense. And most importantly, if they utilize his running ability to keep the defenses honest, then and only then will we get the most out of Randall.

3. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

You're usually right on stuff dude but TE has you here. Ray charles can see Randall's arm strength is better than Mauck's. Whether he tirns out to be better over all we will see, but he is stronger than Mauck. The two Frshmen might be stronger still.

4. max

max Founding Member

I don't see why there are two camps on Randall. Look at him for what he is. A 5th year senior who knows how to get them lined up right and make adjustments. He knows the playbook. He can run if he needs to. He has good arm strength, but his passing is erratic at best. He'll throw a perfect bomb to Bowe and then throw at a receiver's feet on a five yard pass play. I think that he will start because of his experience and he will be okay. We may lose a game because of his erratic passing but you can say that about most quarterbacks. Basically, Fisher will build an offense around Randall's strenghths that will be similar to last year's offense. Next year, I expect them to open it up more with Russell and the receivers being more experienced. Randall has a very talented team to lead. His job will be to not lose the game for the team. Keep the mistakes to a minimum. Suck the defense up with the run and bubble screen and then go over their heads for a home run shot. It will work. It just won't be as exciting as Russell/Davey. It won't grab your eye like USC's offense, so we will continue to be underrated.

5. alaman

alaman Founding Member

Randall cannot hit the deep ball. When he started two years ago, he missed wide open deep receivers all game long, every game. Clayton came back to the huddle many times with a look of disgust on his face due to Randall missing Clayton wide open deep. Only long pass completed was the "Miracle".

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Right, but that was two years ago

If he plays the same way ... long season for LSU ... but I think he's turned the corner and I have spotted some improvement and better decision making in this kid.

And, if you are right ... and he stinks up the place on critical downs and drives ... there's two good QBs behind him that Saban will not have a problem allowing to play. If he descends into past practices and starts making very bad decisions and not listening to his coaches, they'll pull him early in the season.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

In reading this thread I am kinda puzzled as to why everyone is so focused on Randall's arm strngth and ability to throw the deep ball. What concerns me more is accuracy and timing. This is my concern regardless of who is the quarterback. If the starting qb for LSU can be consistent, accurate, and be a timely thrower in the short passing game, then the deep ball becomes that much easier. If the short passing game is respected then the db's have to play up close. If that's the case then occasionally these speedster receivers for LSU will break away and on deep routes. Whoever the starting qb is for LSU will not have to be as accurate on the deep ball if they can be consistent on the short passing game. Because if one of the speedy receivers creates separation then he can likely adjust to the ball/pass to make the catch.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The problem has never been Randall's arm. Its been his consistency that was the problem. He can play a game or a half and look like Joe Montana and then the next game or half he can look like Ryan Leaf. If he can overcome that and play at his highest level every game he would be an All American.

9. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I really don't know where your getting your info alaman...
    Clayton didn't run a lot of deep routes, he wasn't the fastest guy on the team, he just got separation, like Reed. Look at his highlights, most of his deep route catches came his freshman year with Rohan, the rest were catch and runs. Anyway, I remeber watching Randall the first game Mauck was out and watched him thrown while on the run, and the first thought that came to mind was that if he can manage a game as well as Mauck then he has the starting job because he has a much better arm. But because you have a good arm doesn't mean you can be a great passer. You have to have a touch, and be accurate. To look at it a different way. John Rocker has one of the best arms in baseball, but he can't do jack with it cause he can't hit his spots consistently. So we should be questioning whether he can be a good passer and manage the game, not whether his arm is strong. I think most people can see, if they look at the game film, that Mauck is a better passer but Randall had an edge on the arm. Needless to say i think he will do fine this year and hope you all can come visit me when I take my last free bowl trip(with the band) to the Orange Bowl. :wink:

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I agree, the only thing Randall needs to do is be efficient and not make the big mistakes that can change the game. I couldn't care less if he can throw it from endzone to endzone if he can't hit the side of a barn with it. His accuracy will be much much more important than his arm strength and so will his descision making ability under fire. If Randall can throw a ten yard pass to a wide open reciever and not be off by five yards things will be fine. We will have a quality running game and a basket full of speedy athletic recievers to catch the ball. Look for Jimbo to keep it simple with plenty of run and short passes until Randall shows he can handle more. If he can handle more than just hand offs and short passes the sky will be the limit, if not we still have enough talent around him to take us a long way. It's still way too early to either write him off or to crown him king but the clock is ticking and we will know before too long.
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: