Tigers vs. Owls Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JVincent25, Jun 4, 2005.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

A properly thrown change up is one of the most difficult pitches to hit. It looks just like a fastball until it drops right before getting to the plate. You can tell the Rice pitchers were well taught on how to throw it and it's a great out pitch. But if you leave it up in the zone, you can hit it a long way, like Gill did.

I've not been impressed with Wiederhold as a pitching coach. Our pitchers do not have an out pitch. We've given up way too many hits with an 0-2 or 1-2 count over the last couple of years. It seems we are afraid of pitching inside ... and given the number of hit batters, I can see why.

2. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

There is no problem criticizing an official, but he took it to the extreme. Saying stuff like I hope this guy doesnt ump tomorrow and all this crap is unnecessary. People have been reprimanded for less than that. Just an OPINION

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well, one thing's clear. You never made it out of Tee Ball.

4. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

What's wrong SabanBaby, mommy didn't love you enough?

Maybe you should get your wife/sister to warm you up some milk to make you feel better.

Silly homer, get a life.

5. SabanFan

So, it's as easy as saying: "he's throwing a lot of changeups so go up there and wait for a changeup?" You know not of what you speak.

I don't drink milk. The thought of warm milk makes me gag.

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Believe it or not, SF, that's almost exactly what Lynn Rollins and Ben McDonald were saying during the broadcast Saturday night. I was like "WTF...?"

I sometimes wonder if people realize what a changeup is. It's not just a slow pitch...in fact, it's thrown every bit as hard as a fastball, but w/ a different grip which slows it down. It's designed to fool a hitter into thinking you're throwing a fastball, when in fact, it's coming to the plate much slower, and throwing the hitter's timing off. But as a hitter, you can't just stand there and sit on the changeup, because that's when he blows one past you.

I know you know all this SF...this is for the edification of those who are ignorant of the intricacies of the changeup.

7. SabanFan

Exactly.

In Ben's defense, he did say that it's not that easy to just guess right on a changeup. First of all, the arm motion/speed is the same for a good change up pitcher (like Savery obviously is). If you are trying to time your swing for a changeup and he throws a fastball, well, you have no chance. Sometimes good pitching just beats good hitting and you tip your cap to the guy.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Just think of all the MLB hitters over the years that have tried hitting Maddux and Glavine's changeups and were totally frustrated. When a pitcher with a decent fastball and a great change is on they are awfully tough.