TIGERS vs. Plainsmen B-Ball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PURPLE TIGER, Mar 5, 2011.

1. LSUFan2000

LSUFan2000 Veteran Member

Purple,
    untill we fire Johnson and get a real coach in here that knows what he is doing we are going to suck. I can not believe we blew that 15 point lead with 11 to go and lost by 9. Johnson has got to go. Geaux Tigers!

2. LSUFan2000

You cant compare Football to baksetball sorry. Name 1 losing season Miles has had also. You Johnson lovers have got to wake up and face reality. He has got to go.

3. LSUFan2000

CO it will be the exact same b.c Johnson will be the coach and we will have the same sorry ass players. Untill we get rid of Johnson the losing sorry crappy play will continue.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I think one post would have sufficed to get your "Johnson sucks" point across, thanks.

Trent's not going anywhere in the meantime, like it or not. How about we see what he does with a more experienced, more talented team next year before we start showing him the door?

5. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Well, I predicted 4 SEC wins after the Southern game and it looks like I was optimistic.

It was hard watching this team. While I don't doubt they work hard, it just didn't translate onto the floor. They were completely out of too many games. They never seemed to create chaos for the other team, either by pressing and running (which is a pretty typical strategy for teams without top-notch talent) or by stifling half-court defense (like Dale Brown's 86 & 87 teams, which got a lot farther than their talent would predict). Nobody had any reason to respect their offense, either.

Instead, I never saw the fire out of Johnson. It's pretty obvious that if the coach can't give the impression that he is excited, the fans won't bother. Thus, the gym formerly known as "Deaf Dome" was more like the "Dome of Silence".

The other coaches mentioned weren't this bad when they were starting. Jim Boeheim has never had a losing season or missed a post-season tournament at Syracuse. Billy Donovan only had one season that he didn't make the NIT or NCAA Tournament. While Calhoun has had two short seasons later in his career, he made and won the NIT in his second season at UConn. Coach K's career has the most closely resembled Trent's with a NIT appearance followed by two seasons where Duke didn't make the post-season. (Williams has made the post-season every year his teams were eligible, but you have to consider that he inherited a National Title winner at Kansas. Sure Danny Manning was the star and left, but the other players weren't chopped liver. If Roy Williams wanted to coach at LSU, I would hire him in an instant.)

Personally, I would probably cut bait at this time. I don't see Trent making a real run. And I certainly don't see him getting fans in the seats with his team's style or personality. I don't expect hoop National Titles, but I would at least like to enjoy the games.

GEAUX TIGERS

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yes, actually it has. In fact, it occurred arguably twice during Brady's time (97-99, 6 SEC wins between two seasons; 00-01, 2 SEC wins) and also during the great Dale Brown's era (95-97, 7 SEC wins in two seasons). Before you guys cast the stones, at least do your research and know the facts. LSU has suffered a long history of ups and downs and a lot of volatility. Under Dale, there were at least some sustained winning seasons. Under Brady, there were many ups and downs.

As noted before, LSU coach Jay mcCreary had FOUR seasons in a row where he averaged less than 3 SEC wins per season.

Trent has won an SEC championship and predicted these seasons of less than great ball. Not an excuse, but at least predicted.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

And this is what will seal Trent's fate if his team doesn't show some big improvement right off the bat next season. Winning will always grab fans' attention, but if you can't do that, your team at least has to play a style of ball people will watch. If you watched LSU basketball this season, forget about giving up something for Lent, because watching something that cringe-worthy should nominate you for sainthood.

8. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I'll be sure to bring this thread back next season when we are in the Dance...it's going to happen.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Coach K couldn't get us to the dance next season.

10. sonof504

sonof504 Founding Member

We've played a lot of teams tough, it's just obvious this year's team doesn't have the talent to compete. Very young squad that will be adding a few nice pieces next season, it's not far fetched to have tournament aspirations. The big dance though:huh::lol: